Where were you 09-11

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Where were you 09-11

Post by Boom Boom »

DAMN quiet here today........
Just though I would get ya to reflect what you were doing back on that history making day.
Me, was working in Hazelton on a large site project, thought it was odd that no planes were flying overhead but we had no radios on, so we had no clue. We set off our blast for the day as normal (blasting rocks). Within minutes we has state cops all over us :shrug: . Neighbors watching the news must have called in that a explosion occured. That was when the cops explained what happended and asked that we do no more blasting till things calmed down. :nono:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Re: Where were you 09-11

Post by Daves08excr »

I was off of providence rd installing a windshield in a 1995 jeep cherokee when the owner of the jeep came runing outside and told me to turn on the radio when the first plane hit the trade tower.I will remember that moment in time for as long as i live.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

I remember that day well. I was at work ordering breakfast in a restaurant & heard about it. Stayed in the restaurant the rest of the morning watching TV. There was a large crowd of people watching the TV. Total strangers became friends that day.
Kath

Post by Kath »

I had just pulled into my spot at work when the 1st plane hit. I worked at a suddenly very still and quiet BWI Airport....for the Fire Department there. It was a very eerie day and couple days after that as well.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I was at work in a cubicle doing some lame data entry. I was listening to the radio in the next cubicle. We had just heard that a plane had struck the tower. At that moment we were just starting to realize it wasn't just some tiny little Cessna that struck the tower. The radio station called up a person at the Pentagon and was talking w/ them on the air when a plane struck there. As it happened the guy described the boom that shook the building and the alarms that started going off and said he had to hang up b/c he was being ordered to evacuate.

I remember thinking that in other parts of the world, bombings, and crazy terrorist attacks happen all the time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Started out as a pretty ordinary day, working from home. I heard on the radio of the first strike on the tower, and turned on the TV. I watched the plane hit the second tower on live TV. The first plane could have been an accident, but when the second plane hit, my first thought was "f_ck, now we're at war. That cowboy idiot Bush is going to carpet-bomb someone first and ask questions later". Sorry if that opinion offends.

About 11a, Zina called on the phone, needing a ride home from National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. She'd taken a bus into work because her BMW bike was in the shop. We gone on 3 dates, and she basically moved in with me the day of 9/11, and we were married the following June.
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

I was at work. We had a big screen TV in our conference room. I saw many coworkers gathered in front of the tube. I watched what was the first plane burning. Then the 2nd plane hit and we all knew something bad was happening. When the one plane hit the Pentegon, the owner of our company sent us all home to be with our families.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

I was working in DC two blocks from the White House.... We got the word that a plane had hit the 1st tower - and we used the router interface to bring up the CNN in a IE Browser and watched the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.... I also took a phone call from a coworker who was on the highway outside the Pentagon who saw the plane hit it... I watched hundreds of folks trying to catch the busses and/or catch a ride home....

I even have some motorcycle content for it .... We had just installed a new backup system in our work so myself and a fellow stayed while we ejected tapes to make sure our data was protected - etc and he took the tapes ... I stayed because I had ridden in on my cb550 cafe racer and figured I could ride on the sidewalk if I had to if cars were stuck on the streets.... When I left at 3pm DC was a ghost town - nobody was in sight (think opening credits/scene in omega man with Charleston Heston).... My cb died on 16th street going North (fuel) normally you have to wait a couple of seconds to restart it after you starve it on main - but I sat in the middle of 16th giving it those few minutes, and didn't see a soul ... Anyway, it fired up on reserve and I shot outta dc - did like 75/80 .... Just after where it crossed Military - there were 4 cops set up blocking traffic coming into dc - two cars in both N/S lanes... I saw cops in the S/In bound lane - but none in mine - so I just shot between the cars .... Nothing happened - but once I got to Silver Spring I saw people again... Got gas and watched the news

To date it was one of the most surreal experiences of my life... I can't imagine what my day would have been like if the plane that was supposed to hit the white house had actually done so as it was two blocks away as ACS was the tall bld directly in the way...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

I had met our plant controller for breakfast at a small diner in Ligonier, Pa. We had a 9am appointment to visit a plant in Latrobe, which was being 75% staffed by a temp agency...to see if this would fit our plant's needs. As we were driving to our appointment, we heard the news on a Pgh. radio station which is well known locally for its comedy routines. At first I thought they were doing their version of The War of the Worlds...so it took a bit before the news sunk in.

I remember then hearing the reports of a plane going down in Somerset...near Somerset...in Jennerstown...on route's 30 and 219...didn't know what to believe. We had only very sporadic cell phone service. Circuits were jammed with usage. All that I could think of was that my 11 y/o son, in school in Somerset...30 miles away from where I was at the time. I needed to find out what was happening with this crash...needed to be at home to get him when school left out...but there was no way to get that info and I was 30 miles away. One of my co-workers finally got through to me with the school and crash info. I knew that my parents were travelling in the areas that were being mentioned in the crash reports. I couldn't contact them...clearly remember the paniced feeling that all of this brought on.

My ex has a niece who repaired medical monitoring equipment for a living. She was working in DC at this time and was close enough to the Pentagon that she saw that plane pass over her as it went into the building. That left her with long lasting emotional issues.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale