How to use a rollchart

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

How to use a rollchart

Post by Firebolter »

I see some of you haven't used a roll chart before, so I thought I would offer this quickie tutorial. I am using the roll chart for Michaux this weekend as my example.

First thing is learn the key provided at the start. Most are the same, some times they can be a little different.

On this one for Michaux you see the key as:
L eft
R ight
S traight
DR Dirt Road
WT Woods Trail
PR Paved Road

Next make sure your trip meter is set to zero as you leave the start.

Then just look at the chart for the next turn or direction change as you ride. RESETS are extremely important. If you don't keep your trip meter up you can't follow the course!

So just follow the chart and keep your milage up. AS you roll up to signs and you see xxx.x miles, make sure you adjust your trip meter to the posted mileage and you should be able to follow the whole course!

In the rollchart below, you see that you leave the start and go left on a paved road then at .9 of a mile, you make a right turn on a dirt road. Then you go a tenth of a mile to 1.0 mile and make a left turn on a dirt road and so on and so forth all the way to the end.

Again RESETS are important! Make sure you do it when posted. As you can see, they also include a little "icon" for the turn or maneuver so you know if it is a hard turn or a "veer" to the right etc. Insome cases the icon will show you crossing over a road or trail and keep going straight.

Last edited by Firebolter on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: How to use a rollchart

Post by Rut Row »

Also, at landmarks check your mileage against that shown, if your trip meter is off, bump it accordingly.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

You guys are trying to take all of the "sport" out of this!

Don't worry about the DAMN roll chart!

Just tuck in behind Kyler and follow him to the special DAMN Option where KYLER LEADS US ALL UP THE STEEP ROCKY SINGLE TRACK HILL CLIMB UNTIL WE ALL (ONE BY ONE) CRASH AND GET PINNED UNDER OUR BIKES AND THEN HAVE TO TURN THEM AROUND AND BULL DOG THEM BACK DOWN THE SAME TRAIL!
:loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

:gdog:

:hi5:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Kyler wrote:Also, at landmarks check your mileage against that shown, if your trip meter is off, bump it accordingly.
If you don't have a fancy adjustable trip meter don't worry about it. Just pay attention and see if the turns start coming up sooner or later and then you have to start guestimating a little. But don't worry there will be a reset coming soon.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

With the weather forecast, it might be like Hancock last weekend, just follow the stream down the trail! :thumbup:

Gonna be wet un' :rickey:
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Cool, I like learning new stuff.

Now...how to not wreck whilst navigating single track and playing with the new box on my bars :rickey:
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

There were 2 places where the Michaux roll chart was, uh not so good. After lunch when you cross 30, it was a little unclear, same thing last year. I should have remembered. After Option 11 (my favorite) when you came out on the road, the key said "SDR" but you had to go left or right............I figured it out okay, but made you think for a minute.
Lots of cool bikes---
dak
DAMN Expert

How to use a rollchart

Post by dak »

When you get lost they are called extra + options

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DAK BMW G450X RIDER
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Firebolter wrote:There were 2 places where the Michaux roll chart was, uh not so good. After lunch when you cross 30, it was a little unclear, same thing last year. I should have remembered. After Option 11 (my favorite) when you came out on the road, the key said "SDR" but you had to go left or right............I figured it out okay, but made you think for a minute.

That 30 cross got us too. I took a long look as we rolled up to the turn based on prior years, but still went the wrong way.

It must be a sign I am getting old. I cannot remember last year’s mistakes. Wait I cannot remember last week. :wallbash:
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing