Shade Mountain / 3-10

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Re: Shade Mountain / 3-10

Post by windyhill »

I'm in. Nice weather's got me wanting to ride!
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

OLD guy on Frankenbeta plans to be there :ride:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

BB,

How does Shade compare to the 7 Mts Ramble Trail? Last fall we took some big 650's around the Ramble trail and except for one ridge line on the east side over by Troxelville, I didn't think the rocks were too bad. Its not that the rocks bother me, especially now that I have a lighter 450, but at least to me, riding all rocks - all day just isn't that much fun. From the way people talk, will my tires touch any dirt in between the rocks at Shade?

Thanks
J
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The north side of the loop is just a good single track enduro trail with a couple rock patches, good second gear stuff with some minor elevation change to keep it fun, overall good stuff.
The south side where you ride from the parking lot you have 3 options, one will take you direct to the north side and it is jeep wide and the easiest.
The middle trail has some minor rock gardens to roll through and then just average challange the expert trail to the far south will seperate men from boys but does have bail outs to the middle trail before it gets to the hardest section.
The eastern section of the south trail has a couple harder sections but again a bail out to the north (easier side) before the more challanging area starts.
450 and smaller bikes are good fun, a 650 can ride the average stuff but would not be all that much fun trying the expert trails.
Simple loop and modestly easy to follow.
Outer loop is around 20 miles and if running at a good clip expect 2+ hours to make it.
Lots of inner trails to mix up the options and if anyone says they want more challange I can always point out Mitchel trail and the old log slide, good butt pucker factor for sure.
It is free and the only state land in PA where non plated bikes are allowed to ride. We work hard to keep it open for all to enjoy.
The upper ridge close to Troxelville you mentioned is far more rocky than the enduro trail (north side) of Shade. Good fun to ride one direction and then run backwards and time yourself.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Boom Boom wrote:The north side of the loop is just a good single track enduro trail with a couple rock patches, good second gear stuff with some minor elevation change to keep it fun, overall good stuff.
The south side where you ride from the parking lot you have 3 options, one will take you direct to the north side and it is jeep wide and the easiest.
The middle trail has some minor rock gardens to roll through and then just average challange the expert trail to the far south will seperate men from boys but does have bail outs to the middle trail before it gets to the hardest section.
The eastern section of the south trail has a couple harder sections but again a bail out to the north (easier side) before the more challanging area starts.
450 and smaller bikes are good fun, a 650 can ride the average stuff but would not be all that much fun trying the expert trails.
Simple loop and modestly easy to follow.
Outer loop is around 20 miles and if running at a good clip expect 2+ hours to make it.
Lots of inner trails to mix up the options and if anyone says they want more challange I can always point out Mitchel trail and the old log slide, good butt pucker factor for sure.
It is free and the only state land in PA where non plated bikes are allowed to ride. We work hard to keep it open for all to enjoy.
The upper ridge close to Troxelville you mentioned is far more rocky than the enduro trail (north side) of Shade. Good fun to ride one direction and then run backwards and time yourself.

Sounds cool, I am in. It will at least be good to ride Shade once before they close it for good which would not surprise me the way things are going...

I am catching a ride with Windyhill; we'll see you at 9:30!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'm jealous, wish I was going...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I will bring my grill along, feel free to bring anything you want to grill up for lunch or after ride.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Post by phoo »

Aw, man. I so wish I could go. Sounds awesome. Have fun, guys!

At least I'll hopefully have my kids riding the minibike in the yard. "Okay, kids. Daddy wants to go for a ride but can't, so you guys ride around a while so he can live vicariously through you." :rickey: must... not... push... too... hard......... :)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Magilla400

Post by Magilla400 »

Do we have any idea how many of us are there? It looks like it might be a pretty good group... :thumbup:
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

J and Magilla, good meeting and riding with you. Great riding with the whole group. A little cold in the morning, but the trails were excellent. I'm a little sore this morning, might have something to do with that tree I ran into! :lol2: