Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Post by Bucho »

Kyler and I got into the campsite around 8. We had a nice late meal on the grill. Jason, Greg, Gary, Sam, and Patrick joined us for some food and pre-ride motorcycle stories.
Hopefully we will find Reardensteel in the morning. Not sure if anyone else will be joining us on the morrow.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

DAMN fine time it was! Lots of carnage, broken bikes, etc - everything you expect from this motley crew :lol2:

Not to mention snow, rain and using the exhaust can as a hand warmer

and HHR LOVES mud puddles...

and oh yea, Bucho's flat tire on his van - fortunately just as we got to my garage :fitz:

I'll post the rest tomorrow :eyes:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It was a fun weekend all in all. I didn't bring my camera so I have no pictures to post. (Phoo should have some pretty good ones.)

The bearings in my cush hub disintegrated and then ground down a spacer holding sprocket away from the swingarm. When I finally stopped my sprocket was rubbing into the swingarm and my chain had jumped off. We zip tied the sprocket to the spokes to hold it in place and put the chain back on. I was able to get down to a main road and I spent the last two hours of Saturday afternoon waiting for a truck to take me back to camp.
Luckily my weekend was not over b/c BigBird brought a spare bike and was kind enough to loan me his Yamaha for Sunday's ride. A couple of us had a great time doing the AA option. Was so good we looped around and did it a second time.

ReardenSteel, how are you feeling? We didnt' see you Sunday morning and figured you went home. Hope you aren't too banged up.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Good grief, between this and the MR thread, it looks like some desperate January riding. :huh:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

that looks cold!!!!!!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Grreatdog
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Grreatdog »

Hey Bucho, thanks for helpimg me out in the AA loop. I was too whipped on the climb out to keep picking up the beast by myself.

And thanks to Big Bird for ending up on the ground as many times as I did. At least we give the young guys to laugh about.
KTM 640 LC4E
KTM EXC 525
XT200
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

more pics

yes, it was DAMN cold!

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

Had a great time at my first Shenandoah 500... Thanks Bucho, Phoo, hondahawkrider and the other guys I rode with. I had two hard falls... one on Option B and the other... well, it was a bit more dramatic. It ended up being the Option B fall that put me out the second day (fractured rib, I think). Phoo, I returned your jiffy stand to the camp and Bucho, I dropped by camp Sunday morning to check in on you and saw your 650 there... Now I see you were on BigBird's spare. I hope you guys had a good second day's ride...

A few photos:

At the top after Option B

Phoo had jiffy stand issues

From the top of Reddish Knob

38 degrees at the top

Lunch at the Brandywine fire hall

Bucho's disintegrated bearings and busted hub

Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
'10 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4
Eastern TransAmerica Trail 2011
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Wow, never seen zip ties used like that! We had one of our pre-riders get hurt saturday, so I was asked to go pre ride Sunday, sure I said!

Luckily I had my goretex gloves and top wear, so I was pretty warm, but even then it was still freakin cold. My feet stayed cold most of the day. I was blown away when I got to the top of the mountain at 0830 and it was snow! Ice had the trees all bending into the trail in alot of places. Unreal.....

The only incident we had at Tech was one DAMN rider forgot his registration, now normally, I could understand that except this individual is a Law Enforcement Officer! That's right, a COP out riding around with no registration! I let him go, but with a stern warning.........I must admit, that small amount of power went straight to my head! I mean how often do you get a chance to chastize a cop about not having the proper paperwork! I enjoyed it............ :gdog:
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I only took 1 picture all weekend! Reddish Knob Sat, a panoramic from my droid

Lots of cool bikes---