cold versus heat

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

cold versus heat

Post by bonehead »

So I was a little cold riding to work over the last few days. Remembered I met a guy in Mt. Airy MCdees last year who sold heated clothing. so I bought a jacket and glove set-up today. He said heh would give any member of any group I ride with a 12%discount.
Anyone interested let me know.

Gerbing brand name stuff
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
21783mike
DAMN Expert

Re: cold versus heat

Post by 21783mike »

yes
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

you might want to check out this link at ADV too.

Rose has some excellent pricing on Warm and Safe: Just ask Jax's!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613548
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

I'm saving for straight handlebars - preferable ones that don't run into trees.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Kyler wrote:I'm saving for straight handlebars - preferable ones that don't run into trees.
I`m saving for? Forks that don`t leak!!! :salute:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Junior wrote:
Kyler wrote:I'm saving for straight handlebars - preferable ones that don't run into trees.
I gotcher fork seal fix right here:

Its perdy cheap too. :poser:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:
Junior wrote:
I gotcher fork seal fix right here:

Its perdy cheap too. :poser:
:harhar: :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

Heated gear is the best thing ever for winter riding. I've got Warm & Safe stuff, 65w jacket, classic rider gloves, and heated socks, dual remote controller, and the 3-step remote controller. Doing it again I'd get the 90w liner for sure.

Case in point, I rode 300 miles on Thursday to grab the MD tag, most of it was after dark.
Weather.com said 34 degrees when I left, expected low of 24 I think. How to not freeze to death:

US Army surplus extreme cold weather long underwear on the left. Warm n Safe 65w jacket, classic gloves, and socks in the middle. Champion brand midweight fleece and 'stich fleece pants. All under my A* sigma jacket and FirstGear HT Air pants, both with liners. Only wore the turtle fur balaclava, under a Shoei Hornet DS helmet with chin skirt in.

The ride out was fine enough. Of course, 20mins in I had to piss, so I stopped at the RoFo on 97 and got some grub too after admiring the jackknifed RV on the other side of 695.

Got to the bridge, $0.25 short on toll. Wouldn't let it slide, have to pay by credit card tonight or tomorrow. Lame

Then the sun went down. Temperatures noticably plummet. Stopped in cambridge for gas and thawed a while at Cambridge Motorsports, shot the shit with the guy working the counter about his Grand Am days and about how I'm not too bright to be out riding in this lol. I adjusted my layers to put the warm and safe jacket over my t-shirt, with the thermal and fleece over it instead of it sandwiched between the fleece and thermal, much warmer this way. Make to Crisfield, take some pics:

Then start riding home. Its getting colder. I'm freezing by the time I get back to Cambridge, so I stop at the crappy McDonalds by the bridge and get a 10pc nugget with a coffee while I thaw. Starting to get pissed that my heated gear doesn't seem to be worth that much in terms of warmth compared to my non-heated setup last year. Saddle up for the ride straight home (minus the detour to drop the tag). Pass a bank sign with temperature in Severna Park...

17 degrees. I start laughing my ass off. Second sign confirms at 16 degrees. No wonder I'm cold, its 15+ degrees below freezing and I'm doing 60-70mph on a motorcycle basically without wind protection. Glen Burnie was warmer at 22 degrees, the pepsi sign on 83 said 25 degrees, and it felt about that much warmer to me as I was riding. And I got to thinking... while I was definitely cold earlier and to a certain extent as I was going up 83, my feet were still full of feeling and not blocks of ice (in fact the socks were on the 2nd setting, full blast was still too warm), I had full dexterity in my hands (cool, but comfortable), and my torso at least has some warm spots.

Yeah... heated gear rocks.
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

I have this visual image of skierd riding down the road towing a 25KW generator behind him... :harhar:
Ken
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Kyler wrote:I have this visual image of skierd riding down the road towing a 25KW generator behind him... :harhar:
with helmet mounted solar panels :brows:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!