I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Does MD still allow conversions to dual sport?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
rideabike

Does MD still allow conversions to dual sport?

Post by rideabike »

Does Maryland still allow dirt bikes to be converted to street legal bikes? I'm thinking of doing my YZ450F. Either that or my XR400. The XR4 has had a lot of use over the years so it might be past the age of it being worthwhile. Last I heard, you had to get a motorcycle inspection and then you were required to take the bike to the MVA HQ in Glen Burnie for an inspection by an MVA officer(?).

Does anybody have any recent experience in getting a dirt bike tagged for the street?

Curtis
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Re: Does MD still allow conversions to dual sport?

Post by biffer99 »

Don't know but I'm working on getting the WR450F converted so let me know how yours goes and I'll do the same.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

rideabike wrote:Does Maryland still allow dirt bikes to be converted to street legal bikes? I'm thinking of doing my YZ450F. Either that or my XR400. The XR4 has had a lot of use over the years so it might be past the age of it being worthwhile. Last I heard, you had to get a motorcycle inspection and then you were required to take the bike to the MVA HQ in Glen Burnie for an inspection by an MVA officer(?).

Does anybody have any recent experience in getting a dirt bike tagged for the street?

Curtis
Yes to going to Glenn Burnie and the inspection. The only time you don't have to get an inspection is if the bike is over 20 years old and you are geting a Historical plate.

You must have a title or a MSO - if you have neither, you are out of luck.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

It's also going to depend on whether or not your title says Not for Street Use, or Dirt Use Only... If it has that you will have to not only pass inspection, but will have to have it inspected again at the MVA... Also, be wary of who does your inspection, most dirt bikes brake lever on the bars will not activate the rear brake light, if you get an uptight inspector they will look for it...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I did it 2 years ago. Go to the main MVA in Glenn Burnie and get your special inspection. The biggest pain about this is that 98% of MVA employees don't understand what you are trying to do and will simply tell you that you can't register a "dirtbike". You have to find that one guy who understands and will help you.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
TheAntiCrash

Post by TheAntiCrash »

It is true some MVA "reps" do not know their own "service"?

A few years back I purchased a used honda XR100 for Crash JR,

I transfered the title to my name, and was asked "sure you don't want the registration"

while your here?? (Finer Glen Burnie or course)

IMHO anything out of the ordinary at the MVA sends them into a tailspin!!

Not to mention "Press One for Spanish"

Ok I'm done now
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

TheAntiCrash wrote:Not to mention "Press One for Spanish"

Ok I'm done now
but ya got me started... :dry:

I dread the day I hear the recording say, in Spanish, press 1 for English... :rant:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Marqe numero uno para Espanol. Marque numero dos para English.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

rideabike wrote:Does Maryland still allow dirt bikes to be converted to street legal bikes? I'm thinking of doing my YZ450F. Either that or my XR400. The XR4 has had a lot of use over the years so it might be past the age of it being worthwhile. Last I heard, you had to get a motorcycle inspection and then you were required to take the bike to the MVA HQ in Glen Burnie for an inspection by an MVA officer(?).

Curtis
The only official "legal" way to do it is to make the bike street legal then make an appointment with Glen Burnie MVA, tuesdays only, take your bike for a state cop to inspect. If they inspect you do not need a local inspection from a shop, they treat it as a new vehicle.

the un official way is to hope you get lucky, most do, get a MD state inspection, bring your title or MSO to a MVA branch that does title work, pay your tax money, have signed bill of sale wouldnt hurt, don't talk about it being a dirt bike unless they ask and you explain its been convert for street use and hope and pray they let it slide through
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

Hi all. I came here to start this exact thread :lol2: I'm in the process on a 74 XL100 for my wife.

2 of y'all have used the acronym MSO. Is this a bill of sale?
Thanks for all the info... Jack