I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Does MD still allow conversions to dual sport?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Does MD still allow conversions to dual sport?

Post by Grady »

MSO = Manufacturer's Statement of Origin
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

JaxObsessed wrote:Hi all. I came here to start this exact thread :lol2: I'm in the process on a 74 XL100 for my wife.

2 of y'all have used the acronym MSO. Is this a bill of sale?
Thanks for all the info... Jack
Manufacturer's Statement of Origin - aka manufacturer's certificate of origin.

BUT! since your bike is over 25 yo, you don't need an inspection - it qualifies as a "Historic" bike - you just need to solve the title / MSO issue. A bill of sale won't work in MD.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

Thanks Guys. Has anyone tried an out of state title company? I've heard that some states will title on a bill of sale. I have never heard of an MSO, is there somewhere you can obtain one of these? Is this like a title for ORVs that you receive at the time of original sale?
Jack

Kyler wrote:
JaxObsessed wrote:Hi all. I came here to start this exact thread :lol2: I'm in the process on a 74 XL100 for my wife.

2 of y'all have used the acronym MSO. Is this a bill of sale?
Thanks for all the info... Jack
Manufacturer's Statement of Origin - aka manufacturer's certificate of origin.

BUT! since your bike is over 25 yo, you don't need an inspection - it qualifies as a "Historic" bike - you just need to solve the title / MSO issue. A bill of sale won't work in MD.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

JaxObsessed wrote:Thanks Guys. Has anyone tried an out of state title company? I've heard that some states will title on a bill of sale. I have never heard of an MSO, is there somewhere you can obtain one of these? Is this like a title for ORVs that you receive at the time of original sale?
Jack
Got any friends in VT? Rumor has it they are "less restrictive" shall we say...

the MSO comes with the bike - I'm not sure it can be replaced.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

Thanks Ken. I'm gonna try to bulldog this one. I'll post what I find out.

If anybody else has any ideas, they would be appreciated.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yes, the MSO is the paperwork you get when you buy a new dirtbike/atv. You can take the MSO to the MVA afterwards and get a title, but most people don't bother, b/c you have to pay the fees and taxes to the state. Most people don't do this b/c they are just riding only offroad and why bother to pay the money for something they don't need.

Good luck on the XL100. I still kinda miss the little 125 I did for my wife. It was like a street legal pitbike. Fun to go drive through downtown Frederick WFO and park in the bicycle racks.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

you have the benifit (or curse) of title-ing a street legal bike. you may want to handle it another way such as a mechanics lien or abandoned vehicles where they will re-issuse the title from the previous owner. Otherwise if you request a title for that bike it will be mailed to the last titled owner. if they just try to register the VIN it will kick back as owned. It is possible that they never registered the bike but thats unlikely. Plus you need to be checking in the right state it was last titled in.

other potential problems are maybe the bike is stolen and the owner wants it back or it was never paid off but i doubt they would care on something so old.

find a frame with a title or make the VINs go away and get a new one issued by MVA
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

Thanks Bucho n Hare. :cheers:

I will look seriously into the mechanics lien. Thanks for the hint. I have no idea where the bike is from.

I found this place in Maine http://www.getnewtitle.com/ BUT it's $350 and up.... :foul:
Shit, I only paid $200 for the bike.... I was hoping to do a top end rebuild and some new stuff to make it go and keep it around $500 in. Not too bad for something this cute....
BUT the extra $ from the Maine title company puts the project at $850...RATZ...

I really appreciate the help. I'll post any new info in this exact DAMN place.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Your dog looks he's helping alot.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Here's some info. from us Guzzi nuts that might help:
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/ ... itled_loop