I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Why We Are Loosing Our Riding Areas

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
FourStroke

Why We Are Loosing Our Riding Areas

Post by FourStroke »

Took my son riding today at a local pit. Took some random pictures on the way out. It's a matter of time before they shut it down.

Took these pics on the way out. Theres alot more trash scattered around. Very depressing.
Scott321

Re: Why We Are Loosing Our Riding Areas

Post by Scott321 »

Law enforcement needs to be more active on that kind of dumping. I would think a lot of that might be able to be traced back to somebody. Dirt riders probably aren't the ones who dumped that stuff.
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

Your right, it looks like shady contractors/home owner trash.
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

i don't get it , the landfill is usually free.. even for tires..up to 4 a day , just lazy stupid people i guess :dirtdog:
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

Guess our countys charge different fees. Cecil county landfill on rt. 7 used to charge $5 for a pick up truck. All you could stuff in it. Now they weigh you anything over 200 lbs. It used to be $55 per ton. Tires are expensive. I think they are like $8 a piece. I don't even know if they would take a boat - which is probably why I counted 4 boats today.
Nocturnal XR

Post by Nocturnal XR »

I hate seeing stuff like that. Very disappointing.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Illegal dumping sucks.

But to a certain extent I blame local government. They need to provide an alternative, a cheap or free, place to take this stuff.

The cost to police and clean up will probably be the same if the county/township provided a place.

We have an annual dump day where I live. Free to all residents, no restrictions.

When I was in a Jeep club down south we used to do "clean up" days at our local riding areas. That;s a good way to keep in the good graces with local officials.

Where is that? Maryland somewhere?
Bruce
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

a few years ago when I started riding offroad regularly north of Harrisburg we would always fill two trash bags with shit left at the parking lot and put the bags in a local sunocos dumpsters :thumbup: I dont go like I used to and now its usually on the ds bike and its just gotten out of control with trash..... :wallbash:, I dont know why people cant see that is why theres nowhere to ride :cry:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

I see an opportunity to work with the local government to clean up the area. I was a Boy Scout - my Eagle Project was cleaning up a similar clearing in an area of woods near a playground. We arranged for a bulk pickup to come through (large dumpster truck with hydraulic claw). Spent our day collecting, piling, and organizing the trash. County took the trash and recyclables off to the transfer station. Win-win.

If we do our part to keep these areas clean the folks in charge have a much harder time denying us the right to ride there. The Jersey Pine Barrens are a great example - the local clubs have 4-5 events a year to better the area for hikers and riders alike, maintaining trails, patrolling for trash, and even building raised walkways to protect wildlife from foot traffic in endangered areas.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Illegal dumping isn't generally done by riders. It would take a real idiot to close riding areas, punishing riders for a non-rider infraction. Oh, wait, we're talking about politicians. Never mind. :rant: