I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Headlight

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Scott321

Re: Headlight

Post by Scott321 »

I'm guessing you're talking about the '07 450exc listed in your signature? The lever freeplay adjusters on my '05 have given me a couple fits before. Just recently I thought there was something wrong with my clutch when I discovered the little adjuster had backed out. Same thing on the front brake a while back too. A couple clicks on that little knob makes a big difference. There isn't really anything else to go wrong on that front brake unless you have a bad piston seal in the master cylinder which is unlikely. It would probably leak fluid if that was the case.

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hmmmm... I'll check that - but since the factory guys had it pumped up, why would it get soft again?

I hate front brakes - one more reason to switch to flat track :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Ken, on another list, I came across a freeeeeekin' brilliant system for bleeding brakes.

Get a cheap-ass (i.e. more or less disposable) garden sprayer. Take the nozzle apart, and hose-clamp a section of rubber hose to it --- the hose needs to be of a size which will fit on the brake nipple. Preferably clear, so you won't inadvertently blow bubbles into the brake system if you run the sprayer low on fluid.

Pour a pint or two of brake fluid into the sprayer and pump it up.

Put your brake nipple wrench on the brake nipple, put the hose on the nipple, and use the hose clamp to affix the hose.

Now, take the cap off the reservoir, and use a cheap-ass (again, basically disposable) turkey baster to keep the level low.

Now, open the brake bleed nipple, and pull the trigger on the sprayer. It helps to have another person to remove the brake fluid -- it apparently the level rises pretty fast.

When the fluid runs clear for a good long time, close the nipple, and disassemble the rig. Someone suggested wrapping the nipple threads with teflon tape, as they absolutely will drool fluid under pressure.

I can see how this system will bleed brakes that can't be bleed otherwise due to the continuous, strong flow of fluid, flowing UPWARD (i.e. the direction bubbles naturally want to go) vs. manually pumping the brakes.

This will not work with SpeedBleeders, which are another really good product, but require manual brake pumping.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Ken, on another list, I came across a freeeeeekin' brilliant system for bleeding brakes.

Get a cheap-ass (i.e. more or less disposable) garden sprayer. Take the nozzle apart, and hose-clamp a section of rubber hose to it --- the hose needs to be of a size which will fit on the brake nipple. Preferably clear, so you won't inadvertently blow bubbles into the brake system if you run the sprayer low on fluid.

Pour a pint or two of brake fluid into the sprayer and pump it up.

Put your brake nipple wrench on the brake nipple, put the hose on the nipple, and use the hose clamp to affix the hose.

Now, take the cap off the reservoir, and use a cheap-ass (again, basically disposable) turkey baster to keep the level low.

Now, open the brake bleed nipple, and pull the trigger on the sprayer. It helps to have another person to remove the brake fluid -- it apparently the level rises pretty fast.

When the fluid runs clear for a good long time, close the nipple, and disassemble the rig. Someone suggested wrapping the nipple threads with teflon tape, as they absolutely will drool fluid under pressure.

I can see how this system will bleed brakes that can't be bleed otherwise due to the continuous, strong flow of fluid, flowing UPWARD (i.e. the direction bubbles naturally want to go) vs. manually pumping the brakes.

This will not work with SpeedBleeders, which are another really good product, but require manual brake pumping.
believe it or not, the factory KTM guys did something similar but they used a 30cc syringe to push the fluid.

but I'm thinking the threads need to be wrapped in tape or I need to get speed bleeders.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I'm thinking that the big flow values will 'scrub out' any difficult bubbles.

BTW, have you rebuilt this brake system yet?

Maybe this is a sign from above that you really need a set of Berringer brakes on that beeyatch. Then you can sell me your old bits for my Rotax.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I'm thinking that the big flow values will 'scrub out' any difficult bubbles.

BTW, have you rebuilt this brake system yet?

Maybe this is a sign from above that you really need a set of Berringer brakes on that beeyatch. Then you can sell me your old bits for my Rotax.
slick looking brakes but Motard oriented - seems overkill
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

That's what we call a JOKE, Kyler.

If I were replacing them with anything, I'd score a set off a modern Honda MX bike and call it good.

You didn't answer the question about rebuilding. Have you put new seals in it yet?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:That's what we call a JOKE, Kyler.
Humor! :harhar:
Roadracer_Al wrote: If I were replacing them with anything, I'd score a set off a modern Honda MX bike and call it good.

You didn't answer the question about rebuilding. Have you put new seals in it yet?
no - the bike is an '07, why would the brakes need rebuilding so soon?
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Because sometimes bad things happen to good brakes.

People often overlook that hydraulic seals are a consumable, just on a longer time frame.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Here is a shot of the new headlight on the DR.

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200