I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Best way to prep bike plastic for painting...

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Best way to prep bike plastic for painting...

Post by hondahawkrider »

I have picked up a 2nd set of side panels and tail section for my ktm 620... There solid - but faded but after several attempts to remove dirt and grease from the underside has failed using a number of different attempt...

My intent is to paint these - but I'm stumped ... I am thinking bout sanding the yuck off - but have heard this can cause adhesion problems.. Anyone got any idea on how to better remove this crap...

Also for painting.. I was going to use 600 grit wet paper to sand everything down - rattle can primer at least two coats (sand again?) and then use Krylon Fusion paint.... Any suggestions are welcome... It doesn't have to be perfect - it's a dirt bike after all - but if there is a better way to get good results I am all ears... :thumbsup:
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Re: Best way to prep bike plastic for painting...

Post by B DIRT »

you will want to scuff the plastic and then the fusion right to the plastic, the nice thing about the krylon fusion is it can be touched up and blend right in when you get scratches :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Re: Best way to prep bike plastic for painting...

Post by biffer99 »

hondahawkrider wrote:I have picked up a 2nd set of side panels and tail section for my ktm 620... There solid - but faded but after several attempts to remove dirt and grease from the underside has failed using a number of different attempt...

My intent is to paint these - but I'm stumped ... I am thinking bout sanding the yuck off - but have heard this can cause adhesion problems.. Anyone got any idea on how to better remove this crap...

Also for painting.. I was going to use 600 grit wet paper to sand everything down - rattle can primer at least two coats (sand again?) and then use Krylon Fusion paint.... Any suggestions are welcome... It doesn't have to be perfect - it's a dirt bike after all - but if there is a better way to get good results I am all ears... :thumbsup:

Check out my post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=805
I just did the painting thing...not too bad.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com