I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

There is nothing left to overhaul...

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

There is nothing left to overhaul...

Post by Rut Row »

So, the continuing and never ending saga of the Black Hole known to the rest of the world as The Wasp. :screwy:

Today, Brother Hare was gracious enough to help me (he did most of the work whilst I supervised :lol2: ) put a new PWK carb on the CR500 and check the timing.

The new carb made a big difference - that or having gas mixed at 40:1 versus the 20:1 the manual calls for was the ticket - it ran MUCH better. Of course there is the story about how Hare almost killed his wife and I whilst towing the Wasp to start it, but I won't go there...

However, the compression test said 70# and when he checked the timing he noticed the flywheel moved. I believe his comment was something along the line... "f_ck, that ain't good." which to a 2-stroke n00bie sounded like "This overhaul will set you back a cool $2K easy."

It is a good thing I don't hear too well either. :eyes:

So, an hour later we have the motor out of the bike and on the bench. The Main bearings are shot, the piston and cylinder look overdue for replacement and one ring was stuck. :wallbash:

So, fortunately for me, Hare has a secret 2-T mechanic who might be able to rebuilt the motor in time for the Shen 500. I'm praying!

Hare, the S500 is Oct 3/4.

btw - I left the tow strap on your truck - please stash it in a safe place as I know I'll need it again someday :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Re: There is nothing left to overhaul...

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Ya, that'll make it run like shit. The bearings need airtight seals in order to pump the fuel/air mix into the cylinder.

Oh, yeah, bring clean undies when you do the first test --- the motor will hit pretty hard once it's fixed, leaky seals show up as low top-end power.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Oh, yeah, bring clean undies when you do the first test --- the motor will hit pretty hard once it's fixed, leaky seals show up as low top-end power.
Just what we need. :bandit:

You get a roll-on wheelie in third as it is. :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

there always will be something to throw money at, build some muscle flex that Visa

as Kyler said it had low compression but still ran and at least one main bearing was toast, we could wiggle the flywheel up and down a little, basically it was ready to come apart, although no nasty scoring or chunky chunks the cylinder does looks to be fairly overbored might need a sleeve. Probably worth looking around to see if any are available if something goes wrong.

So i will drop it off tonight for a complete make over, here the list so far.

New Crank bearings and seals
New or rebuild Crankshaft
New Piston and Rings, wrist pin and bearing
Bore cylinder, possibly sleeve it
Engine Gasket Kit, get extra cylinder base gasket

New seals all around, countershaft, shifter, kickstarter, water pump

am i forgetting anything??
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:there always will be something to throw money at, build some muscle flex that Visa

as Kyler said it had low compression but still ran and at least one main bearing was toast, we could wiggle the flywheel up and down a little, basically it was ready to come apart, although no nasty scoring or chunky chunks the cylinder does looks to be fairly overbored might need a sleeve. Probably worth looking around to see if any are available if something goes wrong.

So i will drop it off tonight for a complete make over, here the list so far.

New Crank bearings and seals
New or rebuild Crankshaft
New Piston and Rings, wrist pin and bearing
Bore cylinder, possibly sleeve it
Engine Gasket Kit, get extra cylinder base gasket

New seals all around, countershaft, shifter, kickstarter, water pump

am i forgetting anything??
yup - you forgot second mortgage on house... :harhar:
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Kyler wrote:
Roadracer_Al wrote:Oh, yeah, bring clean undies when you do the first test --- the motor will hit pretty hard once it's fixed, leaky seals show up as low top-end power.
Just what we need. :bandit:

You get a roll-on wheelie in third as it is. :screwy:

Had you asked, I'd have been glad to tell you that with a well-running CR500, you should be getting roll-on wheelies in fifth.

IMHO, since you're already inside the cases, adding new trans bearings will only add another $75~100 to the final bill, then you'll have a fully rebuilt motor, good for another 25 years.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Had you asked, I'd have been glad to tell you that with a well-running CR500, you should be getting roll-on wheelies in fifth.
Bucho - maybe we should put a 250 motor in the Wasp. :hitsthefan:
Roadracer_Al wrote:IMHO, since you're already inside the cases, adding new trans bearings will only add another $75~100 to the final bill, then you'll have a fully rebuilt motor, good for another 25 years.
I told him to go through it and replace anything that even looks worn, replace all bearings and seals, etc. I don't want to pop this case again soon.
Ken
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Update :

the cylinder needs to be sleeved, it was on its last bore 91mm, although not scored up too bad its past the acceptable piston to cylinder clearance. the guy who rebuilt it last time wasnt the greatest, he didnt relieve the exhaust bridge and did not drill the lube holes in the piston, that led to its stuck ring and quick demise, being on the last bore didnt help any.

If available we will install a stock honda piston over the weisco, crank is toast too, its possible a new oem or aftermarket crank might be cheap enough to not rebuild but otherwise he will rebuild the crank.

The countershaft and trans felt nice and tight but it was a good idea to replace them if any weird wear shows. Cases look good so far. every seal on the bike is leaking spooge, might be a few other little things here and there but thats pretty much it.

don't count on it being done in 2 weeks, he is going to try but short of red labling all the parts in and everything working out perfect it wont happen. I said again to make it right over being done quick.
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

wow :lurker:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:Update :

the cylinder needs to be sleeved, it was on its last bore 91mm, although not scored up too bad its past the acceptable piston to cylinder clearance. the guy who rebuilt it last time wasnt the greatest, he didnt relieve the exhaust bridge and did not drill the lube holes in the piston, that led to its stuck ring and quick demise, being on the last bore didnt help any.

If available we will install a stock honda piston over the weisco, crank is toast too, its possible a new oem or aftermarket crank might be cheap enough to not rebuild but otherwise he will rebuild the crank.

The countershaft and trans felt nice and tight but it was a good idea to replace them if any weird wear shows. Cases look good so far. every seal on the bike is leaking spooge, might be a few other little things here and there but thats pretty much it.
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Hare wrote: don't count on it being done in 2 weeks, he is going to try but short of red labling all the parts in and everything working out perfect it wont happen. I said again to make it right over being done quick.
Agree - Take the time and do the job right. Should we plate the sleeve before installing?
Ken