I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

There is nothing left to overhaul...

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Roadracer_Al

Re: There is nothing left to overhaul...

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If it's a sleeve, it's probably iron. Iron is generally not coated --- and I'm assuming you mean the newer nickasil-type coatings? If you did decide for whatever reason to get an aluminum liner and coat it, I'd ask your piston MFG if you'd need to get rings that are meant for a coated cylinder.

Wow. It's almost a new bike.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:If it's a sleeve, it's probably iron. Iron is generally not coated --- and I'm assuming you mean the newer nickasil-type coatings? If you did decide for whatever reason to get an aluminum liner and coat it, I'd ask your piston MFG if you'd need to get rings that are meant for a coated cylinder.
I've been reading on the CR500 forums that it is recommended to nickasil the iron liners and you essentially never have to bore it again - just change rings.
Roadracer_Al wrote:Wow. It's almost a new bike.
. Redo the head bearings, change the plastic and paint it and it will be! :foul:

I look at it this way. Bucho and I shouldn't have any issues to work out after this other than how to improve our hack riding skills!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Not a bad idea, nikasil, especially since you will have a fresh bore, i will see if Pat has any hooks, he will have to fit and match the sleeve to the cylinder then send it and piston out to get plated and piston fitted, otherwise i am sure any of the big boys would do it np, find out who some quality vendors are.

We should make sure the honda pistons have pretty close tolerances.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:Not a bad idea, nikasil, especially since you will have a fresh bore, i will see if Pat has any hooks, he will have to fit and match the sleeve to the cylinder then send it and piston out to get plated and piston fitted, otherwise i am sure any of the big boys would do it np, find out who some quality vendors are.

We should make sure the honda pistons have pretty close tolerances.
R2 Performance does bore and plating (Florida) they rebuild cranks too

http://www.r2performance.net/cr500.html

PowerSeal USA - north of Philly - does not do porting but will bore and plate

http://www.powersealusa.com/

Eric Gore is renowned for his CR500 work but doesn't do plating

http://www.eric-gorr.com/porting.html
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Cool - learn something new every day!
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

ahh the joys of used bikes, well there are further set backs, time for re-direct, i will be brief.

Crankshaft shaft part is screwed as in no good bearing spun on it, and after some minor checking around, it seems crankshafts for 85-86 CR500 are rare at best. all the other years are the same except 85-86, yes it can be repaired but real quick we could get a bunch of $$$ in a crank that is obsolete.

To update the crank requires changing the cylinder to proper deck height, still will have to do the related work, port /relieve exhaust bridge etc. at this point we would be well on our way to $1K ($400. crank + $300 jug + $100. piston + labor) and we havent even replaced the main bearing etc yet, from all the excessive vibration the whole engine has a good bit of wear on it.

Not that it happens often but this time it may be a cheaper idea to find a whole CR500 engine thats a 87-02 and will bolt right in. Pat is seeing what he can come up with as far as cheap repair items and i have the feelers out for any CR500 engine parts.

If anybody has any hooks Kyler could use them! a decent 85-86 crank and a decent top end for the same year would be tight! otherwise a whole engine no matter what the year would work too.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I'm beginning to think Bucho and I are not 'sposed to be sidecar guys... this is very depressing

here's some on Craig's list - what do you think?

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/1362847156.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1389585031.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1388042052.html

I sure hope you can turn up a motor otherwise I'm done sidecar riding for a while
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Okay - have found a crank and am negotiating

also found an 87 motor for $500 but it needs some clutch work.
... 87 engine ... 91mm piston with pro-circuit port job. Has probably 10 hours on the piston. Top end, Bottom end and transmission are in great shape. It does have an issue with the clutch though. It will not disengage the clutch, maybe a broken spring or push rod? The clutch cover has been epoxied/repaired, also it has no Ignition cover. This is why I'm selling it for cheap, it needs a little work. Comes with CDI, Coil, Kicker, Shifter and a new clutch side cover gasket. (no carb)
this motor was in a EML MX sidecar. new Boyesen billet ignition covers are ~$80

Joe - give a holler! am thinking the 87 motor is a better bet.
Ken
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

after doing some more research i would try to find a 1990-2001 CR 500 engine for $500. - $600. depending on condition
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

for the rest of you following the Saga of the Black Hole Known as the Wasp...

Hare has some feelers out which may turn up a motor or crank locally. I've found some raplacement cranks but so far, they ain't cheap! The PO has a spare crank and he's checking to see what the condition is but I'm not hopeful.

Bottom line - the Wasp won't be running again anytime soon. :fitz:
Ken