I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

CanAm 560

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Roadracer_Al

CanAm 560

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I've been offered a smokin' deal on a mid- '80s CanAm 560. A "get it out of my garage now and we'll sort out the money later" kind of deal.

It's got a long list of recently-fixed stuff, the motor has been lightly massaged, and the suspension rebuilt. And a spare frame!? The forks are KTM USD off one of their 250 MX bikes. The motor is a 4-valve Rotax, which should be in the mid 50-hp range. This thing was ***radical*** when it was new. I look at it, and think that there is no way that this is a 22-year-old bike.

I'm sorely tempted. Upside: lighter than the DRZ (265 lbs), hella strong motor, parts support for the motor (which is still a popular dirt track motor), good condition. Downside: probably a 4-speed trans, drum rear brake, small gas tank, chassis/body parts are probably impossible to find (I'd be stuck building or adapting literally anything that breaks), and almost certainly can't be street registered in CA, although possibly as a home-built.

What does the DAMN brain trust think about this bike?

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: CanAm 560

Post by Bucho »

Come on Al, you could probably fab whatever you need.

Looks like a sweet desert bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dig deep into the spare parts bin brother - you undoubtedly have a disk rear brake laying around that you could adapt and we know you could lace up a new rear wheel

and wasn't it you who said one can never have too many bikes or projects? :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

You know, you're both right. A thought I had this afternoon was that it would probably be pretty easy to buy a complete modern MX rear end complete with disk, and commonly-available sprockets.

In fact, I should really look at this as buying a great, reliable motor (I discovered that KTM & ATK have used the same motor in similar bikes) with a functional bike wrapped around it. Hell, this DAMN thing looks to be in better shape than any of my other bikes.

The only stuff I couldn't fabricate are the body parts, but there really isn't much bodywork.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Charge the guy to haul it away. Then...maybe.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

If ya don't get it; you'll regret it :deal:
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I've decided to get it.

The final straw is that the motor & chassis were recently rebuilt - a NOS (new old stock) frame was installed ??!!, all new suspension bearings, new HiComp piston, WebCam camshaft, the head ported and new valves. The motor work was done by a pro mechanic experienced w/Rotax motors. Oh, and it's a 6-speed. This thing should be good for high-50's to low '60s HP! Heck yeah!

Now I just need to figure out how to register it as a street legal Dual Sport here in Kaliphornya. It's definitely old enough - there is some kind of cut-off at 1995, something to do with VIN numbers.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:loveit: then ride the TAT backwards and come visit!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Just sayin'. :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »