I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

hot bike

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Kath

hot bike

Post by Kath »

This may be nothing but I'm just curious. Do little dual sports normally get really hot? We were running the XT around the yard the other night a few times and I took it a couple miles down the road and back...we had it out for less than an hour. Well, it seems to get really really hot to me. The frame near the engine even gets too hot to touch from the heat off the engine. Is that normal? I was just wondering if there's something we should check. I'm guessing this thing hasn't had a whole lot of maintenance in it's 6 years. I'm thinking we probably need to change the air filter and do an oil change just to know it's been done recently. It's on the original tires even though they only have 2,500 or so miles on them, so they will be replaced sooner than later. Anything else you think we should check maintenance wise?
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: hot bike

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kath wrote:This may be nothing but I'm just curious. Do little dual sports normally get really hot? We were running the XT around the yard the other night a few times and I took it a couple miles down the road and back...we had it out for less than an hour. Well, it seems to get really really hot to me. The frame near the engine even gets too hot to touch from the heat off the engine. Is that normal? I was just wondering if there's something we should check. I'm guessing this thing hasn't had a whole lot of maintenance in it's 6 years. I'm thinking we probably need to change the air filter and do an oil change just to know it's been done recently. It's on the original tires even though they only have 2,500 or so miles on them, so they will be replaced sooner than later. Anything else you think we should check maintenance wise?
i'd check out - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178968 first post has a link to xt225 - saw the thread this am while rummaging around the Thumpers section
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Kath

Post by Kath »

Through that I found the xt225.com forum and they have a link on there to the service manual. It looks like I should try replacing the air filter, spark plug and oil and go from there first.
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

Isn't that bike air cooled? Sounds normal. If you were riding it slow, or working the motor at higher speeds it was probably getting hot. This past week I can feel the heat really come off my cruiser while sitting at red lights (it's water cooled).
Kath

Post by Kath »

That's what I'm hoping it is. I mean, I know bikes get hot, even though my street bike has a lot of plastic over the hot bits so I don't feel them. lol The XT just seemed really really hot. I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring something that could be a potential problem later on. I'll go ahead and change out the consumables anyway, just to be sure they are all fresh.
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

You could look into a oil temperature dipstick. That would tell you for sure. Change the oil & install a dyno/JD jet kit.
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

yeh if it is stock jet it up a tad, my xr650l came hot out of the box like burning my legs and after jetting it up adding uni airfilter and pipe / runs at 250 tops i also have the temp dipstick good call fourstroke :thumbup:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I ride a DR250 on the trails and it does get a tad warm. Just go faster, the air will cool it down. :ride:
Bruce
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

FourStroke wrote:You could look into a oil temperature dipstick. That would tell you for sure. Change the oil & install a dyno/JD jet kit.
which model do you use.. I am thinking of the one from xrsonly - but some folks don't like the fit and worry that it doesn't seal or stays on in a tip over...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

AccidentalWheelie wrote:yeh if it is stock jet it up a tad, my xr650l came hot out of the box like burning my legs and after jetting it up adding uni airfilter and pipe / runs at 250 tops i also have the temp dipstick good call fourstroke :thumbup:
low speeds or just sitting will make any bike/car/truck hot, its the hardest thing to do

most bikes are lean out of the box to better meet emissions, but they need to be richer, especially the XT225, if thats what you have. They are great bikes we had one for 10 years couldnt kill it. Theres a killer website for them.

I have one of the XR only dipsticks too it doesnt fit well with a steering dampner so i dont often use it. I be willing to lend it.