I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN DRZ400S '07- 1.2 million questions

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: DAMN DRZ400S '07- 1.2 million questions

Post by hondahawkrider »

mica wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

I was wrong. I didn't have the know how to change the front sprocket. :) Luckily someone helped me out. Big difference. I love it.

After riding around like a Hooligan with the guy that helped with the sprocket(DR 650), his bike was equally loud and added to the hooliganism :whoop: , I think I like the loud pipe :roost: , though I probably will repack it.

The decel pop is driving me nuts though. I really want to do as little as possible to get this straightened out. No skills or money.

Would putting the stock filter back on choke up enough air to richen the mix?

Current rear tire is 120/90-18. I am looking to put a street tire on, can I put a 130 on the rear?

Guess I'll find out how much the stock seat sucks tomorrow, er... today. Heading to OC from Manassas, VA. wish me luck...
go for a short ride as is.. then remove the airbox cover and go for the same ride. If its better, its rich if worse its lean... so if it's lean put the snorkel back on and stock air filter.. if it's rich remove the snorkel use a aftermarket air filter - and if still not how you like it do the 3x3 mod.. past that you are really going to need to take the carb off and change the jets/needle (thumpertalk has allot on this).. However, I think some backfiring/popping is normal..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
mica

Post by mica »

Powercore. I see they make something to quiet it down. I'll try repacking first and see if that helps a little, as I am not as opposed to the sound now.
It's a 2.15" rim a 130 works best with a 2.5" rim on the small side. Going to a bigger tire on the 2.15" rim would make the tire more v shaped something you want to avoid. I doubt you'll notice a difference between the 2 of them.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. I want to avoid the V, but that I wouldn't notice the difference? between a 120 and 130? Haven't been able to find a street tire in 120/90-18. But I huess you are saying, NO don't use a 130?

I give that a try HHR.
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

mica wrote:Powercore. I see they make something to quiet it down. I'll try repacking first and see if that helps a little, as I am not as opposed to the sound now.
It's a 2.15" rim a 130 works best with a 2.5" rim on the small side. Going to a bigger tire on the 2.15" rim would make the tire more v shaped something you want to avoid. I doubt you'll notice a difference between the 2 of them.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. I want to avoid the V, but that I wouldn't notice the difference? between a 120 and 130? Haven't been able to find a street tire in 120/90-18. But I huess you are saying, NO don't use a 130?

I give that a try HHR.
Sorry I wasn't clear. You will not notice the extra 10mm of rubber going to a wider tire, you will notice the tire profile being wonkey...

as for tire options. Here's 2 good ones for mostly street riding. The 120/80-18 should be fine. If the handling feels a little slower after words raise your forks in the triple tree some.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... zmap=15130
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... -Tire.aspx
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3309

*sorry I took a vicoden for my knee and I'm a little loopy right now so if I'm being confusing it's defiantly me not you.
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

the net result of going to a lower profile tire is that you're bike will be lowered in the back

On a 120/80-18 the side wall calculates as follows
120mm*.8 sidewall aspect ratio = 96mm sidewall height

on a 120/90-18:
120mm*.9= 108mm

108mm-96mm = 12mm

12mm / 25.4mm/in = .47"

So that's how much lower the bike would be in the back.

Most of those tires above have a matching 80/90-21 available for the front

stock is 80/100-21
so

80mm*1 - 80mm*.9 = 8mm

so the rear is 12mm lower and the front is 8mm lower. So the net result is the bike will gain some trail on the front. Raising the forks a few mm after switching these tires over should restore your trail to the factory numbers but it's far from required.