I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Cracking tags

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Cracking tags

Post by Grady »

As I sit here in the MVA again, I was wondering if anybody else has a problem with losing their licence plate due to it cracking. I'm on my third tag in two years. Each one has cracked across the bolt holes and falls off. The last one I used extra large washers and rubber washers between the plate and steel washers. Is this normal to go through this many plates? I know its the vibration causing this, but I can't figure out a way to stop it. I'm thinking I'll try mounting this new one to an aluminum backer plate. Any other suggestions?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Cracking tags

Post by mdubya »

This was an issue on my KTM Duke. The tag bracket vibrated so bad, a plate would not last more than a few rides. Then the bracket itself did me a favor and cracked and broke off too. Next plate got screwed to the airbox inside the rear fender. It was clearly visable from the rear, but not legal. But it was better than no tag at all. I had plenty of complaints and grumbles from the po. I simply said that was where the tag was mounted when I bought the bike (not true, but I had seen many set up that way before as it was a common LC4 problem).

If you aren't willing to go that route, try mounting it with a bunch of zip ties. This keeps the metal from getting overly stressed and good zip ties are strong.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

I'm on my third tag also. I drilled holes in the middle of the tag (i was in a hurry). The tags are really thin.
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

Maybe try adding a few more holes. I normally try to mount with 4 holes...

Another option might be to mount it using zip ties. That way it would have some flex in the mounting and maybe not vibrate quiet as bad.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

crofrog wrote:Maybe try adding a few more holes. I normally try to mount with 4 holes...

Another option might be to mount it using zip ties. That way it would have some flex in the mounting and maybe not vibrate quiet as bad.
+1.. For single cyclinders - I usually will drill two extra holes and run zip ties thru em (usually at the bottom of the tag) for the older bigger MD tags. If you are running two bolts at the top it's way easier for it to vibrate and crack along the top.. I originally put the zip ties on the bottom to secure the tag better so when (not if) it cracked the zip ties would at least save me from losing the tag.. Since I have done that - no loss of tag
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

hondahawkrider wrote:
crofrog wrote:Maybe try adding a few more holes. I normally try to mount with 4 holes...

+1.. For single cyclinders - I usually will drill two extra holes and run zip ties thru em (usually at the bottom of the tag) for the older bigger MD tags. If you are running two bolts at the top it's way easier for it to vibrate and crack along the top.. I originally put the zip ties on the bottom to secure the tag better so when (not if) it cracked the zip ties would at least save me from losing the tag.. Since I have done that - no loss of tag

It sounds like we do it exactly alike...

I also use those rubber washers that ace hardware sells. For the bolts.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

My tag bracket only mounts to the top two holes of the tag. I think I'll try the wiretie idea this time though. I dont know why I never thought of useing them on the bike. :shrug: I have used them for years on my universal trailer tag. :angel: Makes for quick and easy transfer.
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

i have some stainless steel lashing wire. Thats what i used on my trailor tag u can use this stuff for anything, its strong and doesnt corrode
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Last time I was up at Granvilles, I lost my plate and holder somewhere in the woods (about a month ago). If anyone gets back up there before I do and comes across it, let me know. Not happy about giving MD another $100 for a plate.