I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

street tire pressure for dot knobbies?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
shooom
DAMN n00b

street tire pressure for dot knobbies?

Post by shooom »

what tire pressure should I be using on my dot knobs for street use? I have 15psi front and rear now, didn't feel too bad. I usually run 10 in the dirt with my uhd bridgestone tubes, less in the rear if it's gonna be messy. I have a pirelli trials rear if that makes a difference.
thanks for any help!
KX250F
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Re: street tire pressure for dot knobbies?

Post by crofrog »

shooom wrote:what tire pressure should I be using on my dot knobs for street use? I have 15psi front and rear now, didn't feel too bad. I usually run 10 in the dirt with my uhd bridgestone tubes, less in the rear if it's gonna be messy. I have a pirelli trials rear if that makes a difference.
thanks for any help!

upper 20's lower 30's
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I don't think you need to go any higher then low 20's.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

I'd start with 18/20 and see how things feel. I rarely go much higher than that, but I also rarely go out with knobbies on a pure street ride. If your gona run pure slab at sustained speeds above say 50mph, you might need higher pressures to keep the tires/tubes from getting too hot.

Shaun
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Bucho wrote:I don't think you need to go any higher then low 20's.
Agreed. Suzuki recommends 18 front/22 rear for the DRZ S model. For tarmac only, that works fine. For 50/50 dual sporting I have run 15/15 in my EXC. I have heard others using 20/20.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
shooom
DAMN n00b

Post by shooom »

thanks for the replies. I'll bump it up to 20 and see how it feels. I just didn't want to over inflate my tubes.
KX250F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've been running 15/15 dirt or pavement.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:I guess I've been doing it wrong. I've been running 15/15 dirt or pavement.
For 50/50 dual sporting I have run 15/15 in my EXC.
:ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

OK. Technical info. Why do DOT knobs (tires not people) run at a lower pressure for pavement usage?
I would think it's based on weight and "feel". Along with pavement type and riding style.

Enlighten me :cheers:
Bruce
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

dirtygrunt wrote:OK. Technical info. Why do DOT knobs (tires not people) run at a lower pressure for pavement usage?
I would think it's based on weight and "feel". Along with pavement type and riding style.

Enlighten me :cheers:
Lower pressures than what? :ride: My DRZ S (street model) came with Bridgestone Trail Wings (basically street tires) and the factory recommended pressures were 18F/22R. When I went to DOT knobbies, bias ply, and in similar sizes to the stock tires, I stuck with the same pressures on the road. I typically ran 12/14 or 14/14 for all dirt. I would assume for bikes weighing under 350lbs, low to mid 20's is all the air they need to work properly. That doesn't stop folks from inflating them to the max allowable pressure on the side wall of the tires, or from running the 32-36 PSI recommended for their 800 lbs cruiser or 500 lbs ST bike.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC