I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

noob riding gear question

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
shooom
DAMN n00b

noob riding gear question

Post by shooom »

for you all that are riding dirt and street on a single ride, how do you gear up?

do you wear your dirt helmet/goggles, dirt pants/jersey/gloves/boots, etc because you will be in the dirt?
do you wear your street(full face) helmet, leather jacket/gloves/boots, etc because you will be on the pavement?
or do you wear a combo of the two?

:shrug:
KX250F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: noob riding gear question

Post by Bucho »

I tend to wear my street gear. Wrecking on pavement w/out proper protection is bad.

Depending on how much dirt will be done and temperatures. I'll sometimes change out my full face helmet for my MX one.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Phil's right. street crash will hurt worse. Dress for that as a rule of thumb.

Helmet depends on heat and length of ride. I prefer MX helmet with goggles.
I wear Explorer boots, a good compromise over full MX boots IMHO.
An armored jacket, mesh when it's hot.
DS pants, armored with lots-o-pockets.
Or strap on knee pads under over the boot MX pants.

I guess I have accumulated so much gear that I can mix and match depending on the situation.
A pressure suit under a jersey would work.

Wear what feels comfortable for you.

Function over form.
Bruce
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

sounds like alot of cross dressing to me guy's :poser: stockings mesh what the :censored: :lol2: :pimp: so if it feels good wear it? :harhar: well maybe not in public. :beathorse: but if you are going on a DAMN ride :amazon: it will make for good pics to post :eyes: :lol2:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
Chic

Post by Chic »

shooom wrote:for you all that are riding dirt and street on a single ride, how do you gear up?

do you wear your dirt helmet/goggles, dirt pants/jersey/gloves/boots, etc because you will be in the dirt?
do you wear your street(full face) helmet, leather jacket/gloves/boots, etc because you will be on the pavement?

Its kinda funny seeing a post from you with a title of "noob question about gear"!!! :poser:
shooom
DAMN n00b

Post by shooom »

Chic wrote:
shooom wrote:for you all that are riding dirt and street on a single ride, how do you gear up?

Its kinda funny seeing a post from you with a title of "noob question about gear"!!! :poser:
what can i say, i'm a noob to the dual sport world. i just don't want to be the only one showing up in mx gear for a dual sport type ride, lol. :shrug:
KX250F
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

My preference is to wear dirt gear if I'm on a dual sport ride. If it's hot I'll wear MX pants and Jersey, if it's cooler I'll wear a fieldsheer highlander 1 piece suit. Regardless of the outerwear, I always wear MX boots, full shin/knee guards, compression suit with back protector and kidney belt, Dirt/MX helmet, goggles, gloves, and a Camel bak. Unless your wearing leathers, race boots, and a back protector on the street, a proper dirt setup provides more protection than street gear IMO.

Shaun
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

Oh, I've gone down in the dirt gear on the street too, so I've tested my setup. :lol2:
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
shooom
DAMN n00b

Post by shooom »

delusion39 wrote:My preference is to wear dirt gear if I'm on a dual sport ride. If it's hot I'll wear MX pants and Jersey, if it's cooler I'll wear a fieldsheer highlander 1 piece suit. Regardless of the outerwear, I always wear MX boots, full shin/knee guards, compression suit with back protector and kidney belt, Dirt/MX helmet, goggles, gloves, and a Camel bak. Unless your wearing leathers, race boots, and a back protector on the street, a proper dirt setup provides more protection than street gear IMO.

Shaun
i just ordered a compression suit, long sleeve with all the padding and padded compression shorts. i already have mx boots/pants/jersey/gloves, knee pads and a camel back. i'll feel much better riding on the street once i get those items.

i'm use to wearing a 1 piece leather suit, race boots/gloves and helmet on the street bike. looking forward to the mx stuff on the street as it's a lot more comfortable.
KX250F
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

I think the highlander suit prob crashes better than the MX gear since the suit is denier, but as long as you have all of that armor on underneath, I'm sure it'll be fine. I low sided on the street after hitting some oil in the exit of a hair pin. I was bringing the bike back up accellerating out of the turn exit, the back end started to go wide, and next thing I'm locked out on the steering and down she goes. Was around 40mph so I took a good slide on the asphalt. Bike was fine and I just had a tiny bit of rash on my wrist because the gloves I was wearing were not full gauntlets.

Shaun
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC