I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

noob riding gear question

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Re: noob riding gear question

Post by crofrog »

For true dual sport riding I'd look at something like the Kilm Dakar pants. They vary between 1800 and 420 denier cordura. I think they'd be allot more crash friendly on the street than MX pants. The knee guards would keep them off your knee if you slid, but you could defiantly burn through pretty easy in the ass and thighs.
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

ok how about dual sport ride must haves?...i was thinking tire change toolkit :shrug: &tube some water? what else would the dual sport Vets take??? im full of questions today :screwy: ive gone DAMN MAD!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Must haves? Honestly?
- Hydration pack
- camera and/or helmet cam
- toolkit (must have spark plug wrench if crossing deep creeks)
that's it.

Nice to haves
- spare tubes
- tire spoons
- spare spark plug

For those over 50 trying to keep up with the pace...
-- Knee Braces
-- Pressure Suit
-- Leatt Brace
-- Massive doses of Ibuprofen :boohoo:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

I'd add an electrical repair kit and some quick set epoxy to the list of must haves- put it in the tool kit. A wiring issue can leave you pushing your bike out. I've also repaired cracked cases in the woods with quick set. :jack:
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Since I'm looking to get a dual sport, I'll throw out some questions too. First, what would be good starter gear? I'm thinking a dirt helmet, goggles, knee pads, and off road boots. I'd probably just wear my Joe Crotchrocket jacket for now, since it has shoulder and elbow protection.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Get some entry level boots - under $100 - until you know what you plan on doing. Same for goggles, etc.

My $100 helmet worked fine during my off at GR - no need to invest a fortune unless you want too
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

Scorpion makes some nice helmets that are affordable too in the $150 dollar range. I had a Zox to start with and think the scorp is worth the extra coin. The pads seemed to fit better. Of course, everyone has a different shaped head, so trying them on is the key.

Shaun
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

Great replies guys thank you all!! :cheers: