I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Map/Trail App you like?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Map/Trail App you like?

Post by Bucho »

Anyone have a trail app they like/use for trail hiking, mtbiking, dirtbiking?

All I really want it to do is use it to track myself on a trail and have the app tell me how far I went and how long. And see the route on a map. Elevation is nice.

Years ago I used Endomondo but it stopped being supported and is defunct.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Purple Haze
DAMN n00b

Re: Map/Trail App you like?

Post by Purple Haze »

I use Ride With GPS. I track my mtb rides, road -gravel rides and hikes. It is geared more towards rides than hikes but still tracks them. Gives elevation gain and loss, miles, and moving time. I use the paid plan to create routes that give turn by turn directions when riding unfamiliar trails. Another one I use is Strava. It tracks all different outdoor activities.
13 Husaberg TE 300
2020 TRS rr 250
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Purple Haze wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 pm I use Ride With GPS. I track my mtb rides, road -gravel rides and hikes. It is geared more towards rides than hikes but still tracks them. Gives elevation gain and loss, miles, and moving time. I use the paid plan to create routes that give turn by turn directions when riding unfamiliar trails. Another one I use is Strava. It tracks all different outdoor activities.
Is it free? I didnt want to pay for Strava
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Apple or Android?

If you are a Droid guy, I use OsmAnd for all my GPS stuff now. You can import gpx tracks or track you own. You can navigate a track. You can export tracks; to your own device, none of this cloud bullshit that won't work offline.

You can also download very detailed maps and use it for routes just like Google maps. The first 5 map regions are free but you have to pay for additional ones. However if you initially choose all the one for your area, you won't need to buy any. And if you go to a different part of the country and need different maps, just use some other old phone you have laying around redo your selections.

I also have a subscription to OnXoff road. The Base maps are amazing and they will even show existing trails that are routable. That it how I planned our Idaho trip. But it's pay to play.

Or if you want to go ols school, I have a small Garmin 60 handheld that I would be glad to give you.

SJ
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I use a couple of different apps. When I'm riding something with published tracks like the Pennsylvania BDRX I use an app on my iPhone called MapOut. It's pretty versatile and lets you download the background very detailed maps for wherever you're going to be riding. I know one guy that used it as his only source of navigation when he rode the entire TransAmerica Trail. This one is up on my phone on the handlebars on any off-road ride.

A $$$ app I use for Mountain Biking and hiking is AllTrails. It has published hiking/biking trails for just about everywhere.

The first time I rode at AOAA I learned that they has published their trails on Maprika. That's an app commonly used by ski/snowboarders to track where their are on the mountain but is very useful when you're miles off in the woods in a place that big. I think Maprika is free but haven't used it in a while.

Another one I've heard about is OnX Offroad. I think AOAA publishes their maps there as well.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

free - Gaia
Paid - OnX
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:42 am I use a couple of different apps. When I'm riding something with published tracks like the Pennsylvania BDRX I use an app on my iPhone called MapOut. It's pretty versatile and lets you download the background very detailed maps for wherever you're going to be riding. I know one guy that used it as his only source of navigation when he rode the entire TransAmerica Trail. This one is up on my phone on the handlebars on any off-road ride.
On your recommendation I got MapOut a few years ago. Ive only used it a few times to follow tracks (but it worked well)
When we were in Idaho last year Id pull it up to look at the terrain where we were.

I just pulled it up and it looks like you can record a track. Ill try that next time Im up at Emmitsburg
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions. I have two trips coming up this year. For both I have physical/paper maps and Im very confident in my ability to use them.

But I do want to improve my ability to use technology and I’ll keep playing with MapOut and try to learn how to use it more.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:47 pm
Twist wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:42 am I use a couple of different apps. When I'm riding something with published tracks like the Pennsylvania BDRX I use an app on my iPhone called MapOut. It's pretty versatile and lets you download the background very detailed maps for wherever you're going to be riding. I know one guy that used it as his only source of navigation when he rode the entire TransAmerica Trail. This one is up on my phone on the handlebars on any off-road ride.
On your recommendation I got MapOut a few years ago. Ive only used it a few times to follow tracks (but it worked well)
When we were in Idaho last year Id pull it up to look at the terrain where we were.

I just pulled it up and it looks like you can record a track. Ill try that next time Im up at Emmitsburg
I've used the track recording mode of MapOut many times when on a bicycle ride to keep track of how far I've ridden and the route I took.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I like OnX Offroad as well. I used it in Idaho along with my Garmin I700 (which I love). Easy to make a route with great maps and trails etc. It's pay for all of the really good parts but you can download a large map area for off line use .
Lots of cool bikes---