I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Baumgartner Idaho- bucket list ride!

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Baumgartner Idaho- bucket list ride!

Post by Firebolter »

Just got back from a trip to Idaho to ride some sweet trail. Went to southern Idaho about 2 hours east of Boise in the Sawtooth Mountains.
Stayed at a USFS Nat campground called Baumgartner.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232354

This place is ~12miles in on a decent dirt road from Featherville Idaho. There are dispersed campsites all along the way in, adjacent to
the South Fork of the Boise River. Huge Ponderosa pines everywhere. They also have a Hot Springs pool that is fed from a natural hot springs.
They drain it at sundown and re-fill at sun up. So nice to sit in that after a 50 mile loop! The camp sites have a large table, fire pit and grill.
And there are potable water pumps through out the park, which we were lucky to be right next to, so that was convenient. Plenty of clean vault bathrooms as well. 10 bucks a day! This time of year is First come/first served but in season it is reservable.

The trails: so much variation. Kinda a mix of the rockies with more western high slope topo like Montrose with a little Crested Butte thrown in.
Mostly pines but some Aspens and other large trees. Most of the riding is between 5-9K feet altitude and I really didn't have any issues but you do tire easier obviously.

Long sections of good flowing ribbon in the trees and on the ridges. Plenty of smooth trail in addition to rocks and ruts.
Then boom! Rock garden- ruts and baby head size rocks all in the trail. Not too many roots, but some. Traction was excellent, never a problem hooking up. Even in the mud puddle water crossings. I only videoed 1 day, but it was the best day(IMO). The vid's show the diversity of Southern Idaho. My buddy from Kauai met me there and he rode north of Boise the 2 days before I got there and said the terrain was much more flowing and less rocky. We went up to Atlanta Idaho on this day, which is a little old mining town that 37 people live in. It is 26 miles back in the bush, and the only way in is by one dirt road or ST trails. Well I quess you could fly a helo in!

Idaho has a lot of riding and the trails are true single track 18-24 inches wide and the bushes are less than that a lot of the time. Gotta pay attention.
You need handguards or your fingers will get whacked! They are well marked and cover so much of the state, it is an incredible trail system. Check it out if you can, so far, my favorite because:
you get the high mountain trails and valleys, rock gardens, sweepers and so much altitude variation in a typical 50 mile ride. The trails are
not busted up at all and they flow like ribbons. Lots of water and water crossing. Most are shallow but we did hit one on Day 3 that was up to the seat deep and about 15 feet across. Just have to hit it and not let off the throttle.

I had one issue out on the trail Day 3, I lost my master link and the chain came off, but I always carry a spare and was back on the trail in 10 min with help from some friends! Chain was wadded up in the chain guard, but Matt got it out turning the wheel backwards. I had one get off on Day 2 that busted my head light and broke one shroud, but other than that, the 300 was perfect. I came close to eating poop on that one!

The below videos are all from Day 2, my favorite day. North from Baumgartner to Atlanta for lunch at the Beaver Lodge and the back down the eastern side of the Sawtooth range, back to camp. These video's are a pretty good example of the riding in southern Idaho.

Start of the day. Fast flowing woods as we start the climb up to Atlanta from 5000 feet, up to 9000 feet and then back down to 5400 to Atlanta.

Starting to climb up the valley

Bushes slapping the hands as you work your way up. I did a fair amount of dead engine cruising on the down slopes. Nice to just hear the bike freewheeling and looking out! :cheers:

Lots of sidehilling. Some really nice with small penalty, but a lot with major penalty if you were to "leave the trail"

Some of the sidehilling is a bit rocky

Awesome views

Now we are up top and will start down to Atlanta for lunch at the Beaver Lodge

As we got to the end of the trail coming into Atlanta, there was this trippy sunken worn out bridge, but it was solid feelin!

The town of Atlanta as we drive through to the lodge

After lunch we had to climb up and out to ride 26 miles back to camp down the other side of the mountains

And then down the ridge

As we were working our way we hit some nice woods with a bit of a hill climb and surprise turn !

After I stopped in the previous video, I had to re-positioned the bike over to the trail that I blew the turn to and made my way up the rock field. A nice strong young man help me get my back tire set up so I could get up. If you loose your momentum, it was a bit of work to get up.

More sweet ridge lines-so nice up on top of the ridges. Great views and open.

Making our way back to camp on the last ridge

And finally the tour of the camp site as we ride in. There was one thing I did not get on video, the Big White Guard dog!
In the last video, right after I stopped it as we were coming down the ridge back to camp, I came around a corner and there was a large White Pyrenees dog guarding some horses a hunter had left tied up. He was in the trail and wasn't moving, then he started walking towards me barking and I took off.
He was running and barking right next to me for a good 15-20 seconds. It seems everyone riding that day had the same experience! too funny

Some pics-still sorting through all of em!

Van Life!

On top of the ridge

Beaver Lodge

Nice rack!

Population Board

40 feet from the camp site, South Fork of the Boise River

Camp! Mark's new 2024 300XC he picked up in Boise. That thing is smooth-

Hot Springs across from our campsite. This is the best thing ever! Relaxing and makes ya sleep like a baby!

Love all of the Ponderosa Pines everywhere

Taking a break on the way back-big lunch and it was good!

And lastly, if you do go to Idaho, be ready! It is fun, fast and a little bit of everything but, the picture sums it up-
Last edited by Firebolter on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Baumgartner Idaho- bucket list ride!

Post by Bucho »

Yes. It was a good time. I cant wait to go through your vids later.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Awesome trip report and it looked like you had great weather for it as well. Thanks for posting it all up!

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Lots of good loop options or more out and back rides? Back when looking at the Bill Dart maps the big climbs looked to be more out and back stuff. Does look wide open. That big ass hot tub would have been worth the trip.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:10 am Lots of good loop options or more out and back rides? Back when looking at the Bill Dart maps the big climbs looked to be more out and back stuff. Does look wide open. That big ass hot tub would have been worth the trip.
There are many many loop options, just depends on how far you want to ride each day. Plenty of bail outs as well. One thing we learned about Bill Dart maps, his trail ratings are BS! We rode some of his "Black Diamond/Double Black Diamond" and they were the best most flowing trails. Blue Diamond stuff was way harder! Mark ran into a local guy the day after I left who is friends will Bill Dart and he said Bill rates them that way to keep folks off of certain trails by "scaring" them with his ratings so alot of people stay off certain trails so they stay pristine.

The most open and flowing trails are Black diamond trails, on Bill's maps anyway. We rode one called "Coyote" trail and it was awesome- His trails maps are good but his ratings are misleading by design apparently. Idaho is WAY better than Colorado in my opinion. Way more trails and they are not all beat up and rough like CBS/Cement Creek is now. Definitely would go back, as would I go back to Moab too. Both different but both great! I am probably done with Colorado, while it is awesome it is not as good as the other two from my experience. And the camping options in Idaho is immense. There are so may places to camp versus Colorado. Don't get me wrong, Colorado is nice and good trails, but the other two are better in my opinion.
I have my GPS files for the three days I rode I would share if you want them, once I download them!
Last edited by Firebolter on Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I have read that about Bill Darts ratings. Big push to run trials tires to cut down on trail damage but that was before our gummy knobs today. I think his heart is in the right place trying to keep his local stuff from turning into what Taylor Park has become.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

South Fork Colorado has my interest. Got to study the area as was to ride UTE Cup from that general area before Covid closed the world down.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Salida (Rainbow) was good but logistically it is a pain as it is kinda a ride out and back if no one can go pick you up at the end of the ST or you drop a vehicle for the ride back. Montrose has a lot of stuff and is pretty decent. Peach Valley would be good for a trials event.

So many disbursed camp sites in Idaho. And a lot are nicely located near rivers or nice wilderness areas and trail heads. People are cool, met a few nice hardcore MTB'rs on some of the trails. Seems to me, we rode Colorado before it started getting beat up. Star has become a nest of pot holes and roots now. Double Top cliffs are WAY torn up since the last time you were there, it really need to be re-routed up and over and let that cliff go. Many examples of where the trails in CBS are just eaten up from lots of riders. Idaho, not that way yet. It is worth the extra 8-10 hours of driving IMO.

Moab is still really nice too and fun, want to go ride all of the stuff we didn't and some of the stuff we did! Day 2 of that trip was epic. You could go to Idaho, ride for 3 days, then move down to Moab (550 miles-9.5 hours) and ride there 3 days then head home. Hummmmm? :think: :think: :think:
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice trip. 👍
Bruce
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Awesome videos! What people can't tell from the video of the washed out bridge is that when you came up to it, all you could see was the far side, which was the end of a bridge that was clearly fubar. It wasn't until you got up to it that you could tell it was actually passable. It led to some exciting thoughts before you got the whole picture.

You missed the water crossings from the second location. One, the trail just ended at a wide, fairly deep river. After we all stared at it a bit, I finally saw the tiniest of slivers of trail on the far side, downstream. It took a few riders to find the best way across, and even that way was rough. The last water crossing was shorter, but deeper. Nobody fell over, but I actually cut my engine halfway across to verify I wasn't taking in water. Every single one of us had both boots filled with water from that one, from *successful* crossings!

Signed,

~A nice strong young man
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200