I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I-95. OMG. WTF

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

I-95. OMG. WTF

Post by Laoch »

There was a time, like 15+ years ago, when I would run I-95 from NC to PA on a regular basis. 2-3 times a month for a while. I had it down to a science. A bit over 6 hours and I knew all the right/wrong times to hit the different beltways, rest stops, gas stations, etc. All without GPS or smart phones.

We just got back from a trip to the OBX and OMG WTF happened down there? We hit 495 from 270 and it was like a different planet. Every thing changed. It's like 12 lanes all the way to Richmond. A never ending super highway, a lot is still under construction. But wow. And you can pay extra to use the express lanes. Of course you need EZ pass (a scam/monopoly between private industry and government).

The landscape has dramatically changed. Nothing recognizable from the last time I was on that road, like 2005/2006.

I wish there was a different route. Crazy.

And traffic still sucked. Reminds me of LA.

Next time we are leaving like 2 am. Fuk traffic.
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: I-95. OMG. WTF

Post by Laoch »

While I'm here- what do y'all think of local cops/deputies/police/ etc sitting on interstates?

I think they should be protecting and serving the residents and taxpayers of their local communities.

Let the state police/ highway patrol/troopers worry about the interstate.

I get amused when I see local cops sitting along US rte 15 around here. No radar. WTF are they doing?
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Never, ever get on I-95 until at least below Richmond. You might be able to get on at Fredericksburg but even that is iffy
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

95 is miserable no matter what time you are on it. 2 AM just means they're gonna have 11 of the 12 lanes shut down for construction 38 miles long.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:48 pm 95 is miserable no matter what time you are on it. 2 AM just means they're gonna have 11 of the 12 lanes shut down for construction 38 miles long.
No kidding
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I travel that DAMN road quite often when I go to Ga/Fla. For me, the best option is I leave Annapolis at 4am, that gets me to Richmond ~6am, I usually do the go around to the east side and then pick up 85 on the south side and on to Ga. Regrettably, I95 IS the major N/S option for the east coast and it has gotten really bad. It is hit or miss but for sure on holidays, I stay away from it unless I am traveling at night. 85 isn't much better but you have longer stretches of openness at least so traffic can flow at speed like between Charlotte and Atlanta.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Coming from PA I really have no other options. Kinda sucks. I would leave early but SO and grandkids have a say.
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Laoch wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:01 pm Coming from PA I really have no other options. Kinda sucks. I would leave early but SO and grandkids have a say.
I hear ya. My GF left yesterday with her daughter headed to Florida for 1st year of college. They left Alexandria at ~8am. Called me from just outside of Dumfries around 9 and were stuck in traffic. They finally got to Savannah to sleep for the night at 6pm. Finishing the trip today, needless to say she was tired and the two of them in a car for 10 hours in rain and slow moving traffic, yeah bet that was fun! :killingme: :jack:
Lots of cool bikes---