I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Camping WolfDen Run

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Camping WolfDen Run

Post by Bucho »

On Monday my son and I drove out to Wolf Den Run and rode a little at the Potomac River area. We stayed off the harder tracks and stuck to the easier stuff. It was pretty dead midweek, we only saw one couple in a sidebyside, they stopped and chatted w/us. Told us we were only people they had seen too.
I only explored a small bit of the North Hill area and didn't make it to the Huckleberry Rocks area at all. Overall it seemed a nice riding area. No single track, but pretty well marked and maintained.
The weird online riding reservation system seemed to work fine. I didn't think I needed a permit for a street legal/tagged motorcycle but they told my I did...
The online reservation system for camping at WolfDen Run didn't work well. Maybe bc I was on my phone instead of a full size computer. I had to call several times and speak to a person, eventually he just did it for me on his end and emailed me the receipt and permit. (Great customer service)

I'd go back again to see all the trails I missed.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Camping WolfDen Run

Post by Bucho »

IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 13522 times
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 13522 times
IMG_1639.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 13522 times
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Looks like some good bonding time. Any maps showing how much is available to ride?
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

That looks fun. On the website I see it states motorized traffic requires a permit.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:24 pm That looks fun. On the website I see it states motorized traffic requires a permit.
Yeah, maybe Im thinking about old school Greenridge rules…
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:27 am Looks like some good bonding time. Any maps showing how much is available to ride?
40 miles of trails was one estimate I saw.

They had pretty nice paper maps at the entrances and everything is pretty well marked. I did notice that while the maps were fairly accurate, they did have extra trails (that were more recently made?) that werent on the paper maps.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

we have a proposal in to add singletrack. I'm 90% certain we'll get it. Hopefully next year.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Bucho wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 pm On Monday my son and I drove out to Wolf Den Run and rode a little at the Potomac River area. We stayed off the harder tracks and stuck to the easier stuff. It was pretty dead midweek, we only saw one couple in a sidebyside, they stopped and chatted w/us. Told us we were only people they had seen too.
I only explored a small bit of the North Hill area and didn't make it to the Huckleberry Rocks area at all. Overall it seemed a nice riding area. No single track, but pretty well marked and maintained.
The weird online riding reservation system seemed to work fine. I didn't think I needed a permit for a street legal/tagged motorcycle but they told my I did...
The online reservation system for camping at WolfDen Run didn't work well. Maybe bc I was on my phone instead of a full size computer. I had to call several times and speak to a person, eventually he just did it for me on his end and emailed me the receipt and permit. (Great customer service)

I'd go back again to see all the trails I missed.
You do not need an ORV sticker if your bike is plated. The people at the office do not always know what they are talking about.

This is not the first time I have caught them making up the rules. For a while they haven't made anyone buy the ORV sticker.

Tell them to call their boss Donnie next time if they tell you to buy it again.

Per the President of MDOHVA
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Bucho wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 pm
Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:27 am Looks like some good bonding time. Any maps showing how much is available to ride?
40 miles of trails was one estimate I saw.

They had pretty nice paper maps at the entrances and everything is pretty well marked. I did notice that while the maps were fairly accurate, they did have extra trails (that were more recently made?) that werent on the paper maps.
Pushing closer 60 miles now. Another 8 was added over winter, but they haven't updated maps or publicized. Waiting for the referenced ST to be figured out before shelling $$ out for the signage.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:39 am we have a proposal in to add singletrack. I'm 90% certain we'll get it. Hopefully next year.
Single track would be cool
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200