I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Camping WolfDen Run

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Camping WolfDen Run

Post by Twist »

I wish I lived closer to WDRSP. It's a four hour haul each way for my daughter and I to ride out there. Maybe if we end up renting a place in Deep Creek again in August we'll drag the bikes out again.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Joker wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:22 am
Twist wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:57 am
Joker wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:53 am

This actually irritates me. I got the law passed that allows ATV's Bikes and SxS street legal access up to 5 miles. Garrett County adopted this nearly 2 months ago. It is clear to me that people are not aware of the laws.
Maybe on site posting the relevant code highlighting the 5 mi. access would be something that Kitzmiller and the DNR would be able to support. I've only been there once and can't remember if there are bulletin boards at the three areas but if you check in at the ranger office before you get there they should be telling people or at least handing out a trail map that notes this allowance!
Thats in the works. Ads will be going up on sign boards showcasing the town's ATV friendliness in the not too distant future.
Parks was made aware and preforming awareness to all staff to ensure road usage and OHV sticker regs are understood by staff to ensure they are fully aware of the law.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Joker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:19 am
Joker wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:22 am
Twist wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:57 am

Maybe on site posting the relevant code highlighting the 5 mi. access would be something that Kitzmiller and the DNR would be able to support. I've only been there once and can't remember if there are bulletin boards at the three areas but if you check in at the ranger office before you get there they should be telling people or at least handing out a trail map that notes this allowance!
Thats in the works. Ads will be going up on sign boards showcasing the town's ATV friendliness in the not too distant future.
Parks was made aware and preforming awareness to all staff to ensure road usage and OHV sticker regs are understood by staff to ensure they are fully aware of the law.
Great!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

This is now part of the camping confirmation emails
"
The park has a Zero Tolerance for ORV riding in the campground or surrounding area. ORVs (ATV, UTV, SxS, MX, etc.) may only be used to travel to or from Wolf Den Run approved trail riding areas through the main entrance and exit. Visitors that violate this rule will be evicted. Huckleberry Rocks area is the only area that can be traveled to by ORV from the campground. You must trailer ORVs to ride at Potomac River Area.

ORVs shall not be used to travel between campsites.

DOT approved helmets must be worn at all times while operating any ORV.

Speed limit is 7 mph while entering or leaving the campground.

All vehicles must stay on the camp road. There are no other trails leading out of the campground.

In order to ride ORVs from the campground to the Huckleberry Rocks area on the county road, you must have Garrett County ATV/Snowmobile permit, available for purchase online at: https://payments.garrettcounty.org.
"
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Joker wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:05 am This is now part of the camping confirmation emails
"
The park has a Zero Tolerance for ORV riding in the campground or surrounding area. ORVs (ATV, UTV, SxS, MX, etc.) may only be used to travel to or from Wolf Den Run approved trail riding areas through the main entrance and exit. Visitors that violate this rule will be evicted. Huckleberry Rocks area is the only area that can be traveled to by ORV from the campground. You must trailer ORVs to ride at Potomac River Area.

All vehicles must stay on the camp road. There are no other trails leading out of the campground.

In order to ride ORVs from the campground to the Huckleberry Rocks area on the county road, you must have Garrett County ATV/Snowmobile permit, available for purchase online at: https://payments.garrettcounty.org.
"
Is this all consistent with what MDOHVA worked so hard to establish in the area? It was my understanding that you could ride on the pubic road between Huckleberry Rocks and the Potomac River Area (and Kitzmiller).
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Twist wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:38 am
Joker wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:05 am This is now part of the camping confirmation emails
"

"
Is this all consistent with what MDOHVA worked so hard to establish in the area? It was my understanding that you could ride on the pubic road between Huckleberry Rocks and the Potomac River Area (and Kitzmiller).
Yes. Its over 5 miles from campsite to North Hills/Potomac. But nothing stops you from leaving and entering the road to restart your 5 miles at huckleberry or the road side spring by the power lines :deal:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Joker wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 am
Twist wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:38 am
Yes. Its over 5 miles from campsite to North Hills/Potomac. But nothing stops you from leaving and entering the road to restart your 5 miles at huckleberry or the road side spring by the power lines :deal:
So if you're going to camp at the campground then you need to plan on hauling to one of the riding areas (Huckleberry, Potomac, etc) and once unloaded there you can ride within a 5 mile radius including the road between areas and in to Kitzmiller. Is that correct?
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Upfront- what you guys have accomplished is amazing and great for the off road communities.

The big issue is the convoluted, and at the same time ambiguous, system of rules, permits, reservations, etc. . Add to that the additional pass from what, a local government?

I haven't even looked at western MD riding for years. The whole idea of creating an account and making reservations to ride was crazy to me. I had issues in the early days of Johns Rock or whatever.

If anything- you guys need to get DCNR or whoever to simply the process. One payment, one pass. Just like FRO does and the way Greenridge used to be.

Again your hard work is much appreciated. Getting land to ride is only part of the problem.
Bruce
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Laoch wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:12 pm Upfront- what you guys have accomplished is amazing and great for the off road communities.

The big issue is the convoluted, and at the same time ambiguous, system of rules, permits, reservations, etc. . Add to that the additional pass from what, a local government?

I haven't even looked at western MD riding for years. The whole idea of creating an account and making reservations to ride was crazy to me. I had issues in the early days of Johns Rock or whatever.

If anything- you guys need to get DCNR or whoever to simply the process. One payment, one pass. Just like FRO does and the way Greenridge used to be.

Again your hard work is much appreciated. Getting land to ride is only part of the problem.

Thank you. Big things are coming - they just take time.

Big moves have been made to reduce the complicated process. No more reservations are required at either location for the last several years. SJR does not have a day use fee anymore either. WDRSP has same day passes at the main office on campsite. Online just makes it easier so you have 1 less stop day of. They are working to simplify the camping reservations as a 3rd party manages all camping for the state, but you can call the main office and they will fill it out for you.

Parks also has a "season pass." 75 bucks, gets you into every state park, and gets 4 machines with you into wolf den on 1 vehicle.

As to the county permit. Luckily Allegany and garret recognize each other's permits. Yes, it is just one more thing to deal with. However, unless you give the police a reason to pull you over to check for it, they don't. They have been quite happy with the laws as people no longer fly up and down the road trying to avoid being caught. Significant reduction in complaints and violations.

And if you don't feel like camping, there is now a rental houses catering to wolf den users.

https://www.vrbo.com/9681384ha?dateless ... d=77132074

https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US/land/mary ... children=0 Pet friendly
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup: Thanks for the update.
Bruce