I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Need a new front tire

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Need a new front tire

Post by Rut Row » Sat May 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Well, the front tire on the KTM has most of the knobs ripped off or chunked on the outsides of the tire. So I'm looking for a new one. I have a Trakmaster II on the back and am happy with that. The front is a Metzeler 6-Day Extreme.

mdubya, gtop, Dave - what are you running nowadays?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

gtop

Re: Need a new front tire

Post by gtop » Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm running a Bridgestone M59 front. Its holding up well. No chunks or cuts .Seems to hold well in corners.

crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog » Tue May 05, 2009 1:19 am

There is only one true front tire....

Pirelli MT16

This thing does stoppies in the dirt all day long, has excellent side bite, seems pretty long wearing to me and has worked in every condition I've tried it in.

gtop

Post by gtop » Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 am

crofrog wrote:There is only one true front tire....

Pirelli MT16

I havent tried the MT16 front but I do know the MT16 rear hooks like mad and is pretty indestructable in the rock gardens

Louge

Post by Louge » Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 am

Non-DOT MT 16s wear like iron. The stiff sidewalls allow low pressures w/o pinch flats. They're great in rocks, good in mud if you keep your speed up to clean the lugs and sketchy on asphalt. All three of us ran DOT MT 21s on the TAT at 18-19lbs without any flats over 4200 miles. It's a good 90/10 tire that handles quite well on both dry and wet asphalt.

MT 16
Image Image

MT 21
Image Image

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

MT-16

Post by Rut Row » Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 am

Very interesting - the MT-16 front tire is DOT approved. The rear is not, yet they are advertised as a set! :shrug:

I think I'll throw a MT-16 on the front of the KTM and give it a try. I still have a spare TrakMaster rear waiting to be mounted whenever the rear goes.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog » Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 am

All pirelli front tires are DOT approved.

Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare » Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 pm

I need a couple new tires and tubes, I should be able to get us a good DAMN Discount with a bulk purchase of 10 tires or more .

Last time the rear MT16 120/18 was $65. or 68. with no shipping charges, not sure if thats a good or great deal. They come in with in a day or two. I will get exact prices before ordering. These can probably be picked up at Cycle World Baltimore if not then at my house not far away.

Maybe someone knows of a better deal.

I'll do 3 tires total.
2 fronts and 1 rear MT16 Rear and a MT44 front, and sounds like the MT16 front is worth checking out

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue May 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Hare wrote:I need a couple new tires and tubes, I should be able to get us a good DAMN Discount with a bulk purchase of 10 tires or more .

Last time the rear MT16 120/18 was $65. or 68. with no shipping charges, not sure if thats a good or great deal. They come in with in a day or two. I will get exact prices before ordering. These can probably be picked up at Cycle World Baltimore if not then at my house not far away.

Maybe someone knows of a better deal.

I'll do 3 tires total.
2 fronts and 1 rear MT16 Rear and a MT44 front, and sounds like the MT16 front is worth checking out
Dood - ya gotta be quicker! :frustrated:

Although, I just bought a MT-16 front from Motorcycle Superstore for $60.99. I also bought a set of MT-21s for my KLR's spare set of rims. As a result, I got free shipping. :loveit:
Ken

Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare » Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm

DAMN that place is just as cheap, might need to beat on my guy for a better #

i will get some prices tomorrow.