I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Snow

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Snow

Post by gots_a_sol »

I kinda have to agree with the gov. People need to take some responsibility and not just blame it all on the state/vdot.

I will say I didn't hear anything about this storm until like 6 pm Sunday evening and just happened across a post on Facebook about it (dont watch news or anything like that).

The latest snow just started here about an hour ago btw.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I'm curious what WAZE was telling travelers about this mess and how to get around it?

We were in NJ near Princeton on Sunday and had planned to come back to Annapolis on Monday. The weather app on my phone went off several times Sunday telling me that this weather was coming starting early Monday morning so we changed our plans and drove home Sunday night in the lightest traffic I can ever remember for that trip.

OK, I get it that a lot of travelers have little flexibility on when they go but geez, with the tools available it's puzzling to me that so many people got stuck in this jam. We spent the day Monday helping my daughter build an igloo in our front yard.

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I saw it on the news Saturday. I don't do FB or any other Social Media now for over a year. I have weather apps but typically don't use them unless I haven't seen the weather on TV or am traveling. I do watch the news every morning though. Alot of the people stuck on 95 were NOT from Va, they were driving through. They have all of those overhead electric message boards all along the freeway but they didn't have any info like they SHOULD HAVE. Why do you think they are now Hiring a person to deal with that? They learned from getting burned.

It's easy to armchair QB this, but seriously, they (VDOT, the Gov, feds who oversee trans) screwed the pooch on this one, plain and simple. I95 is the most traveled interstate in the country, they can do better. But I will admit, even if all of those signs were lit up and said "Don't go, exit till the storm is over", you still would have had people pressing on and getting stuck, but then it would have been 100% on them-Or close the DAMN interstate down-

When we pay taxes on every aspect of transportation (car/vehicle sales, gas, state and federal income etc.), drivers deserve those information systems to be used as intended, ABOUT TRAFFIC CONDITIONS, not about social issues that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH TRAFFIC OR TRAFFIC CONDITIONS.

That's what pisses me off-

Now I will say that this is the first time in my memory that we had 2 storms back to back and the forecasted amounts of snow fo my area WERE SPOT ON! I got 10 inches Monday and 3 inches of snow last night just like what was forecasted. That's pretty amazing!
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:35 am Now I will say that this is the first time in my memory that we had 2 storms back to back and the forecasted amounts of snow fo my area WERE SPOT ON! I got 10 inches Monday and 3 inches of snow last night just like what was forecasted. That's pretty amazing!
Bill, it's almost like they knew what they were doing. As a pilot I know better. They were just lucky this time.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've got a set of "remanufactured" OEM wheels coming for the truck. A set of snow tires will be going on them. Any reason to buy anything but blizzaks? I can get them from Sam's club for a decent price. I have never had winter tires before...
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I have blizzaks on my GTI and my only complaint is they are a bit noisy. Pretty sure they are the gold standard these days, but really any dedicated snow tire is going to be awesome compared to an all season.

Worth watching marketplace/craigslist too. I snagged the full set for my GTI, used for 1 year, for $40 as the lady was moving to a place it doesn't snow and had to get rid of them before she left :deal:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Thanks, I hadn't thought of craigslist. There's a set nearby (albeit, not $40, still $250 is a lot less than the $800 new ones would cost). I just emailed the guy. :cheers: I wish I had a way to balance them myself but I don't think my moto tire balancer is big enough.