I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

SXCS 8 hour and the NE 24 hour race

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

SXCS 8 hour and the NE 24 hour race

Post by gots_a_sol »

Busy month this year. SXCS had their 8 hour race on July 2nd/3rd and the 24 hour race was July 17/18.

I signed up for the 8 hour as an ironman and tried to get signed up for the 24 but all spots were taken save for a few team spots but I couldn't find more than one other guy who wanted to enter, oh well.

The SXCS 8 hour race was in Westernport, MD which is actually somewhat near Granville's place. The race started at 6pm Friday and ran until 2 am. We got there about 2 on Friday to get set up. This was the first trip out for the new to me toyhauler and F Juan fiddy.

I got signed up and just hung out with the woman and dogs for a while. We were parked pretty far from everybody else as we didn't want the dogs getting all worked up. Turns out we weren't supposed to park there even though there weren't any signs saying not to. Oh well.

So I get geared up and head up to the starting area about 5 mins prior to the race. When I get up there they are making some announcements about parking and pit lane. Umm, pit lane? I hadn't heard or read anything about a pit lane this year. Last year was basically a free for all with the actual race course winding through the pits/camping area. Nothing had been said when I signed up and I didn't see any signage about it on site. Ended up arguing with these folks about it and eventually when I said I was parked way out in BFE (which is when they broke out the you shouldn't be parked there either thing) they just let it go. The point was for safety while refueling which I get that, but the lack of info isn't my fault.

So the race finally gets going. It is a le mans start and fortunately it was slightly downhill this year. I kind of half assed jogged to the bike because it sucks to actually run in full gear lol.

Now they had said most of this track was freshly cut just for the weekends events. And that was accurate. No lines had been formed yet and it was for the most part very slick and technical. Lots of smooth ish, flat embedded rocks just made it hard to keep a good pace. And it only got more slick as the race went on with the moisture coming up.

They had a few fast/hard options with slower work arounds that were clearly labeled which was nice. One was a short but steep hill with zero run up and the other was a pretty substantial tree crossing. I did the tree crossing on the first lap but it was so slick after that I just took the easy route the rest of the race. I never tried the hill climb as there was always someone stuck on it each lap.

I started the race with my bike light mounted up already. I was guessing on 3-4 laps (7.5 miles btw) before it got to the point of needing it. Was a bit wrong there and glad I had the light to use early on. It was a beautiful bright sunny day but about half the trail was in the shade of the mountain and it was daaaark in those areas. I ended up turning my bike light on mid way lap 2. I had changed led bars because I had this beastly Baja Designs bar I pulled off my Excursion when I sold it so figured why not? The smaller RI bar is what I had been using previously but it has a blueish tint that I don't care for.

Well, the BD light is phenomenal. I could have gone without helmet lights and just this bar. Until I discovered a small issue. I was going along and got kicked sideways in the stupid rocks and stalled out. Hit the button and click. Try it again, click and now the light is flickering. Apparently this light pulls more juice than Ms Beta can supply at the low rpm. I was able to kick start and get going again but I had to turn the light bar off for the battery to recover.

That was near the end of my 3rd lap. I pitted after I finished it and got my helmet lights mounted up then headed back out. The rest of the night was spent cussing out slick ass rocks and cycling the light bar off/on whenever it would start to flicker again. I was aiming for at least 10 laps. On my 8th lap my primary helmet light cut off. Finished out that lap with my cheapo China back up light which after having 2 small sun's lighting my way was like a match. But it was better than sitting in the woods in the dark. Turns out I drained my main helmet light's battery also and didn't have a spare for it. It was about 1 am when I finished the 8th lap. I threw the battery on its charger for 30 mins and went back out for a 9th lap. I got about halfway through before the helmet light died again. I crossed the line a few minutes after 2am but they were still waiving the white flag. Nope, I'm done. Pulled off and called it a night. The overall leader came through about 10 minutes later.

The overall winning team did 20 laps, the overall Ironman did 19 :screwy:

Random pics

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: SXCS 8 hour and the NE 24 hour race

Post by gots_a_sol »

The Northeast 24 hour race was this weekend up in Andover, NY. Now I had previously mentioned how I tried to get in but they had been full on spots save for a few team slots folks were trying to sell. Well I could only get one other guy who wanted to do this (Randall, who had been on my team in 2019) but it just didn't work out.

Wednesday evening he sends me a message asking if I had plans for the race. Nah man, didn't get in this year. Well well well, turns out one of the ladies who was competing knew a guy who had a 6 person team slot and needed guys to fill in as his whole team had dropped out. Chatted with the guy briefly and we are in! Shit! I gotta leave Friday to go to this thing.

I was able to get Friday/Monday off at work so I set to loading up again. At the 8 hour race I was exiting the TH and the stupid side steps broke so I had to fix that too. Looks like the mounting bracket broke in the past and someone booger welded some angle iron in to support it, which broke again. I'll need to cut all that crap off at some point but I just threw some decent welds at it for now and it is a lot more solid.

I had noticed my front wheel had a wobble after the 8 hour also, so popped in a fresh set of bearings plus some fresh fluids had the Beta good to go. I also looked in to the draw of the light bar and if I kept it above 1/3 throttle it would keep the battery charged. Good enough. I brought both bars with just in case but the 2019 race had been decently open so I figured it'd be fine.

I headed out about 1pm on Friday. GPS said 5.5 hours drive. 15 mins in I notice my trailer lights are out so pull over and mess with that. I had rewired the connector before the 8 hour and it had been fine. After wiggling the plug around the lights intermittently would work. I ended up having to bend the tabs out on the truck side a bit to get a more solid connection. After that it was smooth running. Until the rain hit.

It occurs to me at this point that I never actually checked the weather for the weekend. Oh God. It is like 80%+ rain all weekend. I pull in to the event location and it is just slop. As soon as I turned on to this road I threw it in 4wd and locked the rear axle. The F150 has new tires but they are highway tread and I could see people sliding around already. It did slip and slide some but not as bad as I was expecting. The closet I got to being stuck was when the trailer jack buried itself in the road because of ruts. A gentle application of some V8 power rectified things :lol2:

I get through the gate and eventually find a spot to set up. I get leveled out, chat with my buddy for a bit, then turn in, crying softly to myself about how dirty my new to me truck is going to be.

The next morning I get my bike and whatnot up to the pits. It is just a quagmire out here. At least dust won't be an issue like we had in 2019. I meet the other guys who are on the team. 4 of us have been racing vchss but it turns out the 5th guy has never raced before today. Oh boy.

The newbie is riding a stock 03 KDX. Now I have nothing against a kdx or older bikes, but when I say stock, I mean stock. Like it still has the factory tires on it. We are able to convince him to visit the on site Kenda dealer and get some fresh tires mounted up at least.

So rider's meeting is at 9/race starts at 10. It gets pushed back as does the start of the race by 1 hour. We work out a riding order while we wait. Randall first, I'll go second, newbie 3rd (Eddie), our 4th guy (whose name I can't recall), and finally the team leader (Randy).

A little after 10 the sky just opens up on us. This is pretty much how the rest of day goes. It does let up just in the time for the race to start and then picks up again shortly after. The start was a bit of a cluster f as once the national anthem finished, they didn't make any announcement of how things were going to proceed, they just started sending rows off. Randall got caught out still putting his helmet/goggles on when they sent our class off. Glad it is a 24 hour race to make up for that.

After getting started, I went back to camp and got geared up. We were aiming for 3 lap stints each to start with, but we try to keep our next rider in line halfway ready in case the previous guy has to pull off early. Randall did his 3 and pulled in. We handed off the transponder and off I went. We were 15 of 25 in class when I left.

The pit lane was just brown soup at this point. I putted out at the 10 mph speed limit and eventually got on course. There was a small bit of field connector which was just a sloppy mess before getting to actual trails. Honestly though, the trails were holding up way better than I figured. This place is an atv park and they had the course mostly on those trails with a few connectors here and there. It was basically like riding blue trails down at Hatfield.

The rain came back about 15 mins in and my goggles were fogged over solid.. I normally run a double pane lens but for some dumbass reason I had the single in them. So off they went. I got in to a groove and was having fun. Traction was surprisingly decent and I was sliding the bike around predictably. The rain just kept dumping though. My boots were full of water by the end of the first lap and I was totally soaked.

I ran my 3 laps and was having a great time splashing about and I considered doing a 4th lap, but decided to hand off to the next guy so he could get at least a lap in.

Pull in to the pits, hand off the transponder and sent KDX guy on his way (about 2:40pm). I had managed to get us up to 11th in class which being in sportsman B felt like a huge accomplishment on my part as I'm normally near the back of the field on speed since being bumped up to B class.

I hang out for a few minutes chatting with the other guys/teams when it starts dumping again, then head back to camp.

I just throw all my gear in a pile outside, it'll never be dry again this weekend no matter what I do. The entire parking area is just a river. I gave up on having dry feet and was walking around barefoot now. I grabbed the most amazing shower of my life and made some lunch. DAMN I should have bought a toyhauler years ago.

It is about 4 when I pulled up live scoring. The newbie hasn't finished 1 lap yet. 430, still nothing. 5, nothing. Wtf happened to this guy. Finally scoring updates about 5:15 with us having done a 7th lap. We are now dead last in class, 3 laps down from the guys we were fighting with.

I go back up to pit lane to see what happened and find out that kdx guy drowned his bike and had to get towed back, so our 4th guy is who eventually finished the 7th lap. That poor kdx. They had stood it up on its back wheel and water was just pouring out of it. We never did get it to fire up again.

Well 4th guy is out and does his 2nd lap at about 31 ish minutes. Another 30 mins later our team leader is geared up and ready to go. Nothing. 10 mins later still nothing. We start hearing people talk about how nobody has come through scoring in the last 10 minutes. That can't be good.

This is why. And yes that is a bike sticking out of the water. They recovered the guy unharmed btw.

So the race is halted at this point, about 7 hours in. They get everybody out of the woods and back to pits. About an hour later they call all teams to another rider's meeting and declare due to the flashing flooding that the race is ended.

Our team leader who set up everything never even got to turn a lap.
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice write up Joe!

Flash flooding during a race is something different.
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

DAMN Joe, that's intense!
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Random video/montage thing from another team.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Whoa! Flash flooding IS crazy. Glad nobody was seriously hurt
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200