I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Kairos

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Kairos

Post by smdub » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Six of us went down to Kairos this weekend. Rode Fri & Sat. Was our first time there and hadn't seen it on this board before so thought I'd make a ride report.
https://kairosresort.buckinbanjo.com/

Camping: We had one of the camp spots on the edge of the field. Plenty of space. Fire ring in the woods where one could set up tents if you don't sleep in your vehicle.

Facilities: Fairly clean and nice. 2 urinals, 2 toilet stalls, and 3 shower stalls - we assume the womens side was the same. The main office is right there. The fellow who handled our payment Fri morn was very nice and through. There are 2 maps. One w/ the double-track - these trails are all numbered. Another map w/ SOME of the single track. He spent at least 10min w/ us drawing on the map where some of the hard enduro stuff is. He told us there are single track trails jetting off the double track all over the place - he was not wrong. We could not find any gpx tracks online beforehand.

Riding:
Fri: It rained pretty hard Fri morning (remnants of Elsa) but cleared up by noon and we hit the trails. Was never really 'lost' but we wandered around a bit trying to make sense of the 'maps'. The rain turned anything that was clay (I grew up in southern VA and understand red clay well) into impassible sections. You could just sit and spin on a simple smooth but shallow incline. Rockier sections didn't have this problem and there was a ton of roots in the woods w/ traction. But it made for an entertaining start of the day. There were some rain filled ruts from the prior hard enduro races but in general really good flowing tracks. We did send one guy down a hill we couldn't get him back up (steep and slick). We decided to abort after looking at my GPS and sent him farther down the hill in the direction of the river & road. It again hit home that everyone should have a phone/gps/radio. This was not the first time we had to split the group. Lots of good climbs. GREAT creek sections to ride in.

This pretty much sums up many of the trails:
kairos_trail_11_steep_resize640.jpg
Sat: rain was forecast again but changed and it was a beautiful day. By now we've figured out how the property is generally laid out and went to ride / scout out the hard enduro sections on the other side of the ridge. We never did quite figure out how to make it up to the 'white whale' trail we'd seen in videos. Everything was still wet from the day before so still had to be careful on the rocks but in general there was a lot of grip as long as it wasn't pure clay. Had a GREAT time and towards the end of the day an unexpected storm hit. You know those ones that have orange and red on radar? We were down in the valley in a creek and knew to climb out ASAP. As all heck broke loose in the skies above, some limbs were falling from the trees, and the paths quickly turned into rivers. The final short but steep climb out got ugly fast. Three of us made it up, the other three didn't. We walked down to help and realized it was sort of pointless. Sent them to go the long way out and met them at the road. The heavy storm cell disappeared as quickly as it came. The saving grace was it was hot as F in July. The rain felt good. If this was spring/fall and we got drenched in the cold it would have been another story. Lesson 2 learned: Pay more attention to weather during the ride - the forecast changed often but was spot on. If we were in the middle of a hard enduro section it might have been nigh impossible to get out.

Overall: *REALLY* nice property. Its 1500+ acres on three ridges and multiple creeks. There were very few other bikers. More quads and a even more jeeps parked. We only met a couple vehicles on the trails and saw one pair of bikers. Seemed like we had the place to ourselves (weather forecast may have scared some off?) Will DEFINITELY go back when its a little cooler and drier. Only real complaint is the single track isn't marked at all. If we can find gpx tracks online (or develop further our own) it will be much easier to navigate.

They really are on top of the new river. Will bring kayaks next time and spend a day on the river.

We're still going through some of the pics and will try to post more here.
Last edited by smdub on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Kairos

Post by Bucho » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:15 pm

That sounds really cool!

Looks like a 5 hr drive from Frederick.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:05 am

They host a trials event there every year....have been told it is pretty good event.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 am

Great review Stephen and thanks for taking us along. I just wish these places weren't quite so far away so that I could get to them more often than once a year or so.

We'd also talked about maybe trying to get back out to Green Ridge State Forests or Wolf Den Run - both places 2 - 3 hours away for me. Once I'm done playing B&B host this summer I'm going to try to get off with my daughter for some 2 - 3 day riding trips.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:43 am

Nice write up. :thumbup:
Bruce

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Sounds like a DAMN fine group gathering. Think they host a dual sport event
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Post by phoo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am

Kairos is why I bought 500' of mule/pull tape and have been giving everyone I meet/ride with a 25' length of it to carry with them. (Speaking of which, I try to always have a bunch of extra lengths with me to hand out whenever I ride, so everyone (and I do mean everyone), if you see me, don't be shy about asking for some. It packs smaller and is easier on your hands than paracord, and is super strong.

Anyway, to Kairos, we were on a trail that we had to do a downhill switchback, on rain-slicked red clay, onto a trail that was half a tire wide. By using pull tape that someone thankfully had, we could keep the front of the bike pulled up onto the trail instead of watching as the bike slide farther and farther down the hill every time the throttle was breathed on.

Thanks for the trip report!

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 pm

Of the Billy Goat trail what for mileage do you think they have? Fore example a full loop of Shade Mountain is around 20 miles. Just pondering how much fuel I would need to carry to go wonder around with my trials bike at this place. September has a gap in events and might be perfect weather for a little run south and check it out.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Phoo: we used the mule tape you gave me @ the DAMN reunion to let a bike down one of the hill climb challenges (he ALMOST made it). Came in handy! Thanks!

BoomBoom: 1500ac is only ~2.4sqmi. You are never far distance wise from your vehicle in the center. It may however take hours to get back there :lol2: I probably went through a half tank of gas. The trails aren't straight/long like Hatfield. They snake up down the ridges many times vs one climb and keep going @ HM. Think more like Mountain Ridge - trails zig over every square ft of that property.

We're planning to go back to this again in the fall when its cooler and hopefully a little drier. I'll give folks a heads up and see if we can get a DAMN group. It's several hours closer than HM. :thumbup:

This is the 'official' map of the single track. But it doesn't show any of it :shrug: He spent at least 10min drawing and explaining all the hard enduro squiggles ALL over it.
PXL_20210709_141542970.jpg
Before we send David down the slick hill we can't get him back up... was a HIKE for us to climb back up from halfway.
PXL_20210709_161902023.jpg
Greg watching us recover Dan's bike using Phoo's mule tape. We had an over/under bet on how many times it would flip down the hill if Dan bailed (correct answer was zero.)
PXL_20210709_201438357.MP.jpg
David making it up the climb (He went before Dan.)
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:36 am

Great info.... thanks
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr