I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Motocamping WV/Monongahela Jun 5-6

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Re: Motocamping WV/Monongahela Jun 5-6

Post by JGalt »

smdub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 am Who is JGalt? :lol2:

Don't know whether to be enthused or afraid when your first post uses words like 'sojurn' :lol2: Just 3 of us so far. Though Donnie's 990 is in the shop for some engine 'case gasket'. Sounds like they are slammed and don't know if they will get to it in time.

Congrats on the 690! I recently picked up a 701LR and have enjoyed it so far. I put a Wings exh on mine. For luggage I bought a Wolfman B-base to go w/ the Large Rolie bags I already had. I really like the Wolfman setup on my 500 (E-base w/ medium Rolies.) Haven't installed it yet though. Need to figure out if I need a muffler heat shield or not. Initial tests looks like it sits far enough forward to not need it - plus the Wings runs MUCH cooler than the stock muffler. The Reckless 80 looks to be a perfect fit for he 690/701 though. I like it has the hole in the base for the gas fill (I've talked to Wolfman about how to cut a hole in their base if I deem sliding it forward to fill ever becomes a hassle.)
Who is? Well,I'm actually just a dad/father/dude not yet ready to surrender to black socks, Bermudas and shuffleboard. And while I'm getting older (57), I still possess some degree of spunk, piss and vinegar. I'm looking to have an adventure and, just as importantly, a few laughs--even, and perhaps especially, if they come at my own expense. As I tell my wife, this motorcycle is far cheaper than a girlfriend and new Corvette--to which I get an eye-roll, but more importantly, her quiet understanding and never-ending support.

As for the congratulations, thank you--I love the bike! And, I too plan on getting the Wings exhaust, and shortly thereafter, the Reckless 80 system as well. However, despite the wife's unrivaled support, she nonetheless has--as CFO of the homestead--her limits, and so the modifications to the 690 will need to be delayed a bit...until perhaps this summer, when she isn't looking.

In the meantime, a backpack and a few things strapped precariously to my seat--think the Clampetts--will need to suffice for this "sojourn";-).
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

The 'who is' question was more of an Ayn Rand reference than a literal question but you introduced yourself well. :thumbup: Have you done much dirt biking before?

You can strap a good sized duffle bag to the factory rear grab handles.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
da scrub
DAMN Wanabe

Post by da scrub »

I'm a definite maybe for this one.
Happy to chase Steve/Stephen for
awhile (like 2 days) :thumbup:
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Post by JGalt »

Understood...and I do appreciate your literary cognizance. Nonetheless, I thought I'd provide my own answer to the question for context. Much biking? That's relative. I've done a fair amount as a young 'un, though not much since. Isn't it like riding a bike--he asks just prior to the unplanned dismount.

The new bike has, to be sure, afforded me a renewed taste and smell of youthfulness that is most enjoyable to be sure. As for gear, I'll look into some ad hoc adaptations to be used on possible outings, that is until such time as I'm able to properly provision the bike.

As its stands, I'm not so sure I'll be available for that June 5-6 weekend, but do enjoy the riding time with friends--good times I'm sure!
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Time is creeping up on us. Anyone else in?
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I'm leaving this morning on a 4 day romp in to the hillbilly twisties of West Virginia on the GS. Meeting up with a small group of chuckleheads who like to go fast in the corners and slow on the straights - all pavement on this ride. The forecast is for typical summer weather, 80s, possibility of scattered t-storms. Hope you guys have a save and fun trip!

There's a chance you might see us somewhere between Paint Bank and Seneca Rocks. We tend to be in that general vicinity out there.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:53 am There's a chance you might see us somewhere between Paint Bank and Seneca Rocks. We tend to be in that general vicinity out there.
Ah yes, that is one of my favorite areas to ride on the road (Seneca rocks I mean).

I'll be up at Dabbers with the other DAMN Hooligan's this weekend. Weather looks good for the mid atlantic-
Lots of cool bikes---