I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

GPS Thoughts

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Les B

GPS Thoughts

Post by Les B »

I have a KLR that needs a GPS unit. Since you DAMN guys seem to use them a lot I thought this would be a good place to get some advice.
Brands, Do's -Don'ts, Any tid bit of info would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend the money on a high dollar waterproof one since in most instances I can put it into my tank bag if needed.

Input please>
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: GPS Thoughts

Post by Rut Row »

Weeeellllll.... I have a Garmin Zumo 550 but it qualifies as a high dollar waterproof one :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I also have a Zumo550 I use on the Concours but I have a Garmin Quest II that I had used. I actually prefer the Quest for the way it navs and creates routes. It is compact and submersible but, if you do a lot of off road (rough) riding it can be a little tender, mine is on its way to Garmin to get the antenna put back on. I have ridden with a few guys that use the cheapo Wally world brands with success, they just put a zip lock baggy on them when it rains.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Wingfixer wrote:I also have a Zumo550 I use on the Concours but I have a Garmin Quest II that I had used. I actually prefer the Quest for the way it navs and creates routes. It is compact and submersible but, if you do a lot of off road (rough) riding it can be a little tender, mine is on its way to Garmin to get the antenna put back on. I have ridden with a few guys that use the cheapo Wally world brands with success, they just put a zip lock baggy on them when it rains.

You can usually pick up a quest or quest II for less than a 100 buck on advrider or ebay... The antenna is the only weak spot - but you can buy an extension for like $20 bucks so you don't have to open it up.. It's very durable overall...

The main issue you are going to have with older waterproof models (remember the most of the current models in cars are not outdoors friendly) so the older/cheaper models will NOT be touch screen and they won't be quite as friendly when mounted on the bike...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

If you are going to be a GPS dork, might as plan of signing up for events like the Pine Barrens 300/500.
It will still probably be awhile before I ever get one, but that event really made me think about it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Les B

Post by Les B »

After reading some posts and not being real sure how often I will use a GPS on the bike I bought a Garmin 200 Refurb off of Newegg.com for 89.99 with shipping. If I end up using it a lot[ie being a GPS dork] I will put down the money for a waterproof unit. However if I don't use it that much and this one gets destroyed I am out $90, no big loss. Now maybe I can make some entries on dinners since GPS coordinates are required.Thanks.