2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
User avatar
aai
DAMN Expert
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by aai » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

you have the desert sled? cool I enjoyed the desmo classic for a couple of years, didn't have the suspension travel as the sled but she was steady on fire roads.
Attachments
4DE9AE1D-A41F-417F-A93E-A8D9EAB2B720.jpeg
Thanks,
Sonny
Husky FE 501
BMW RnineT
Beta Evo Sport 4T

User avatar
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by BigBird » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

BDMaha wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:56 pm
aai wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am
how about section 4 to 6 on MABDR Bruce? Thats about 600 mile round trip from me, doable over a 3 day weekend. Moorefield to Mt. Holly
Section 4 is boring boring boring. all asphalt.
I think this thread is great and hope to be able to participate in some rides.
NOT trying to be a downer BUT when the MABDR first came out - I did some analysis of the roads/route and found that - in the areas I was personally familiar with from past rides - there were several significant stretches where they picked a boring easy road that roughly paralleled a great fun road I had enjoyed previously. There were others making similar observations at the time.

I haven't followed this and maybe/hopefully their routes have been fixed/improved in response to user feedback???
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800A - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - KTM Freeride 250
Beta Evo 200 - Yamaha WR250R
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of Off-road & Road Tandem & Single Bicycles

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Laoch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:36 pm

aai wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:47 pm
Junior wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 pm
aai wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am
how about section 4 to 6 on MABDR Bruce? Thats about 600 mile round trip from me, doable over a 3 day weekend. Moorefield to Mt. Holly
A few of us did part of this a few years ago. It fell apart due to weather! I`m game to try it again. Mid September?
Junior I have a RnineT TKC 80s, 8" clearance under skid plate. Will it make it thru that stuff? since you've run it already. Seems the videos Ive seen, they layed it out for big bike friendly, with optional tougher lanes.
Very similar to my CB500X. Same tires. Rides great, fat front 17” sucks on gravel, but very doable. It is my preferred bike for longer, back road/gravel road trips.
Bruce
'19 FE250/'13 CB500X/some trials bikes

User avatar
aai
DAMN Expert
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by aai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

you guys living around the Appalachians gets spoiled :think: when it comes to anything involves two wheels. Hard to imagine boring rides back roads or dirt. :cheers: Here in southern Maryland its flat as a pancake maybe 60ft or so elevation changes at best. Eastern shore is probably the same way. JohnF and I was just talking about that recently absolutely enjoying the Michaux roads and getting back up there sooner than later. Heres a small clip from when I first met Bucho and JohnF. Brand new bike, brand new place, brand new friends and streaming music :lol2:
Thanks,
Sonny
Husky FE 501
BMW RnineT
Beta Evo Sport 4T

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Laoch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm

As far as getting back up here sooner rather than later, most weekends when the temps is 50 or above is good or me. As long as we don’t get any s***w. That stuff hangs around for a while. On the cooler days I just trailer up to avoid a cold ride to the woods.
Bruce
'19 FE250/'13 CB500X/some trials bikes

User avatar
Bucho
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 5192
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Bucho » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

aai wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm
you guys living around the Appalachians gets spoiled :think: when it comes to anything involves two wheels. Hard to imagine boring rides back roads or dirt. :cheers: Here in southern Maryland its flat as a pancake maybe 60ft or so elevation changes at best. Eastern shore is probably the same way. JohnF and I was just talking about that recently absolutely enjoying the Michaux roads and getting back up there sooner than later. Heres a small clip from when I first met Bucho and JohnF. Brand new bike, brand new place, brand new friends and streaming music :lol2:
Thanks for the video. I only pulled my 650 out a couple times last year, but I honestly do enjoy those type of rides.

This spring I'll need to do some shake down rides before the KAT. Michaux is always fun. I'd also like to hit up the dirt roads around Greenridge State Park in Western MD.
Suzuki DR650
Beta Xtrainer
Sherco 290 trials

User avatar
Twist
DAMN Expert
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 am
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Twist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 am

Laoch wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm
As far as getting back up here sooner rather than later, most weekends when the temps is 50 or above is good or me. As long as we don’t get any s***w. That stuff hangs around for a while. On the cooler days I just trailer up to avoid a cold ride to the woods.
You're not kidding about the snow. We went up there last spring and ran in to it up to the foot pegs.

Image

It's so shady that it hangs around when it's mostly clear everywhere else.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why. - Mark Twain

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 3072
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Laoch » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Twist wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 am
Laoch wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm
As far as getting back up here sooner rather than later, most weekends when the temps is 50 or above is good or me. As long as we don’t get any s***w. That stuff hangs around for a while. On the cooler days I just trailer up to avoid a cold ride to the woods.
You're not kidding about the snow. We went up there last spring and ran in to it up to the foot pegs.

Image

It's so shady that it hangs around when it's mostly clear everywhere else.
BTDT
Bruce
'19 FE250/'13 CB500X/some trials bikes

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests