What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by phoo » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:45 am

Being tall, I was concerned about being able to get in and out of my Corvette repeatedly. And I definitely didn't want to destroy the steering column like people tend to do when a car is short or a truck is tall (it's a steering wheel, not a pull point, people!). I've actually found that it's super simple -- I just put my left hand on the door sill to push myself up and rotate out. It's completely natural.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200

gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:16 pm

Coming home from work a few weeks ago, I got off the highway and when I pulled up to the light my GTI started having a loping idle like it had a big fat race cam in it. Yea thats no good. Limped it home and ignored it for 2 weeks as I already knew what it was.

New Year's weekend I decided to have a look.

As expected, timing has jumped and the intake cam is 2 teeth off. Next step was resetting the timing then a leakdown test to see if it was worth throwing parts at. Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 were great. Cylinder 3 not so much. Bent valves.

I bought this car with a blown engine due to timing tensioner failing. I replaced it with another engine that just had all the most updated parts put in it 100 miles before the car was totalled. I put 60k on said parts and the tensioner failed again. Decided to cut my losses and sent it on its way. Screw those german cars :lol2:
-Joe.

'22 YZ250FX
'09 Husky WR177

gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:27 pm

Went back to Japan for the replacement.

Pulled in the shop and started taking it apart to make a parts list. It honestly isn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Now I'm waiting on parts.
-Joe.

'22 YZ250FX
'09 Husky WR177

Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:11 pm

From all I've heard it sounds like vw/audio have not improved much if at all since my 78 scirocco. Fun car to drive but went through two engines in that too.

Motomofo
DAMN n00b

Post by Motomofo » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:42 am

gots_a_sol wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:16 pm
Coming home from work a few weeks ago, I got off the highway and when I pulled up to the light my GTI started having a loping idle like it had a big fat race cam in it. Yea thats no good. Limped it home and ignored it for 2 weeks as I already knew what it was....

...I bought this car with a blown engine due to timing tensioner failing. I replaced it with another engine that just had all the most updated parts put in it 100 miles before the car was totalled. I put 60k on said parts and the tensioner failed again. Decided to cut my losses and sent it on its way. Screw those german cars :lol2:
What model year was it? GTI was on the list for a future commuter car but having had a one previously and hearing this, wondering if it's not quite the "power move". Considering dropping it from the list.
WOODS.... :thumbup:

gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:55 pm

Mine was an 09. That gen engine was used through 2014. Gen 3 started in 2015. I think they fixed the timing issues on that newer engine but there are some other issues with it, though they seem less catastrophic.

It was a fun enough car for a daily, just a bit fragile.

Motomofo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:42 am

What model year was it? GTI was on the list for a future commuter car but having had a one previously and hearing this, wondering if it's not quite the "power move". Considering dropping it from the list.
-Joe.

'22 YZ250FX
'09 Husky WR177

gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:06 pm

Waiting on parts to put the front back together so messed with doing some other fixes.

When I picked it up, this clearly aftermarket led was flashing like crazy and I could hear a relay going bonkers under the dash

Pulled some dash panels and there is definitely non-oem crap there.

Ugh :dry:

Got it all ripped out and cleaned up/wiring fixed.

-Joe.

'22 YZ250FX
'09 Husky WR177

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:31 am

Man that's a pile of wires! It amazes me how some folks hook up electrical stuff so badly! Grounds and shorts waiting to happen.

I replaced my GF's garbage disposal this weekend. But the previous install, they had used 1 wire nut on the black and then just twisted and taped the other 2 and shoved it up into the bottom of the disposal. I removed the old one, cut/stripped the wires and made new connections, used some wire nuts and then taped each one up and bundled the wires away in the new unit. I am a crappy electrician but I did a much better job than the previous install!
Lots of cool bikes---

juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 pm

I've been building a house off and on since August 3. It's still in progress...

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R

phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am

I've been enjoying watching your progress. It's really impressive!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200