Finally got the EM out

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
User avatar
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 9222
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am
Contact:

Finally got the EM out

Post by Rut Row » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

I finally got the EM out at my new place. Great weather, ground was damp but not muddy, lots of fallen trees to practice on. I need to clean out some face slappers and cut off a bunch of life threatening pine limb stumps. With all the downed trees there should be an awesome practice area there.

I mastered the following skills
- The "it's a big limb, screwed up the timing to bounce the front tire, fall and dismount"
- The "DAMN I turned too tight, fall and dismount"
- The "how can a wet angled limb be so slippery, fall and dismount."

:dry: being a newb sucks :lol2:

I spent a lot of time just riding slow working on the very basic skills; steering by loading/unloading the pegs, riding slow, body position, etc. I made it about 1 hour before my back gave out.

I have to say riding this thing is vastly easier that the old Cota 349. :deal:
Ken
2016 EM Sport Electric Trials :drool:
1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler (project)
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

User avatar
Marylander
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Marylander » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Very cool. Sounds like you've got a good base setup.
Rut Row wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm
- The "how can a wet angled limb be so slippery, fall and dismount."
Ha, that's one of the things I'm very stubborn about. It's probably the most common cause of me falling down. ;) I don't know why I keep riding over them at an angle but I somehow can't resist.

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 2777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Laoch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:20 pm

So when you want to get together and cut sections? Cold is ok as long as no snow on ground. I was up at my Michaux property today looking at some lines I can make.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
'17 183RRS/'16 Freeride/'13 CB500X/some trials bikes

User avatar
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 9222
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Rut Row » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Laoch wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:20 pm
So when you want to get together and cut sections? Cold is ok as long as no snow on ground. I was up at my Michaux property today looking at some lines I can make.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
It will be a few weeks before I can get free. But I'll definitely take you up on your offer!
Ken
2016 EM Sport Electric Trials :drool:
1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler (project)
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

User avatar
Bucho
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Bucho » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Its not exciting, but just working on balance and tight turns is pretty important.

Can't wait to do some riding together.
Suzuki DR650
Beta Xtrainer

User avatar
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 2585
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:26 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Boom Boom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 am

Give a little notice when you want to scout out a few sections at your place and I will aim the van with toys in your direction.
2018 TRS RR 250
2013 Husaberg 300
1986 Fantic 301
1985 Yamaha TY 350

User avatar
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 9222
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Rut Row » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 am

Boom Boom wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 am
Give a little notice when you want to scout out a few sections at your place and I will aim the van with toys in your direction.
Deal. Laoch and Boom Boom trials fest!
Ken
2016 EM Sport Electric Trials :drool:
1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler (project)
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

smdub
DAMN Wanabe
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by smdub » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am

This is great to read!

Got the kiddo out on the new-to-him Oset 20 yesterday. He's sitting on it w/ feet held off the ground for now but can now go down the street, turn around in the circle and go back up the street w/o touching for the most part. Huge progress. He wore me out jogging behind/beside him (ready to catch him if he fell or got too close to a parked car.) Told him I'm going to give up on that and ride the mtb around w/ him next time. He had his first two spills too. No real injuries and he got right back on (he's a bit risk adverse so I didn't know what to expect.) I need to add reach adjustable mtb brakes. Its crazy that oset puts bottom of the line brakes on kids bikes that *NO* kid sized hand would ever be able to reach the levers of :screwy: Probably going to find some old Avid Juicy 7s or something where we can adjust the levers closer to the bar.

That said, up until christmas two coworkers and myself hooned the Oset around the office (hid it there until it was gifted.) We had to prove it was safe right? :killingme: Doing wheelies and such in the grass by the parking lot. They lament its relocation to my house. There is now talk by them of finding another electric to play on so it definitely made a good impression;) Will be keeping an eye out for a local Oset 24 or EM.
'08 Monster S2R1000 / '02 DRZ400S / '12 KTM 500 EXC / '05/'06 Beta Rev3 270 / '16/'19 Sherco 300FST

User avatar
Bucho
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by Bucho » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm

smdub wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am
This is great to read!

Got the kiddo out on the new-to-him Oset 20 yesterday. He's sitting on it w/ feet held off the ground for now but can now go down the street, turn around in the circle and go back up the street w/o touching for the most part. Huge progress. He wore me out jogging behind/beside him (ready to catch him if he fell or got too close to a parked car.) Told him I'm going to give up on that and ride the mtb around w/ him next time. He had his first two spills too. No real injuries and he got right back on (he's a bit risk adverse so I didn't know what to expect.) I need to add reach adjustable mtb brakes. Its crazy that oset puts bottom of the line brakes on kids bikes that *NO* kid sized hand would ever be able to reach the levers of :screwy: Probably going to find some old Avid Juicy 7s or something where we can adjust the levers closer to the bar.

That said, up until christmas two coworkers and myself hooned the Oset around the office (hid it there until it was gifted.) We had to prove it was safe right? :killingme: Doing wheelies and such in the grass by the parking lot. They lament its relocation to my house. There is now talk by them of finding another electric to play on so it definitely made a good impression;) Will be keeping an eye out for a local Oset 24 or EM.
Very cool!

My kid has an OSET 20.0 as well. They are really neat little bikes. The quiet factor is great for learning in neighborhoods/urban areas. My kid is a little cautious too and its taken him a while. He is most comfortable sitting but is standing a little in some spots.
I bet an OSET was really fun to play with at work. Did you have an inside trials section?

Maybe we should have a trials get together later this season
Suzuki DR650
Beta Xtrainer

smdub
DAMN Wanabe
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Finally got the EM out

Post by smdub » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm

We rode around in the lab, warehouse some and the halls. Mostly outside. We have a large paved area out back of the loading docks plus some grass past that. We tried to do most of the stupid stuff over in the grass. :lurker: The electric has been really fun. It's so much more 'accessible' than the gas trials bikes. Weighing half as much probably contributes to that.

FWIW, They make a seat for the 20.0 now. I bought it plus the magnetic lanyard kill sw to upgrade. He's not using the seat yet. Figured I'd get him comfortable just riding around when his legs have no problem touching. He can barely flat foot w/ the seat so it will be harder for him to catch the bike if he gets off balance. Once more conformable riding I suspect he'll take to the seat quickly.

We should get these electrics together sometime. We were all surprised how well the 20.0 handles 30-45 yr old children :cheers: Would love to see Ken's EM go and take a good up close look at it. Electric is a perfect fit for trials.
'08 Monster S2R1000 / '02 DRZ400S / '12 KTM 500 EXC / '05/'06 Beta Rev3 270 / '16/'19 Sherco 300FST

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests