I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Helmets

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Damifudo

Helmets

Post by Damifudo »

I have an open face HJC motorcross style helmet but I am tired of bugs flying in the open face and I am looking for a closed face helmet. I am not looking to spend a bunch of money but I want something safe and decent. I wear glasses so it will have to be glasses friendly. I do about 70 on road and 30 off road. What can you recommend? Thanks. I trust riders words better than sales people. :thumbup:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Helmets

Post by Bucho »

I assume you are asking about regular full face helmets?

I've found the Scorpion brand to have some really nice and well priced helmets. They now have some higher models, but they still have one or two cheap models sub $200 that have alot of the features of more expensive Shoeis and Arais.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

If the are Snell or DOT approved, there isn't a lot of difference other than individual fit/finish. I prefer the try 'em on until you find one you like and can afford method.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I think I am going to try a Scorpion dirt helmet next time 'round (soon!). If I could afford an Arai, I would buy one. I have hit my head a few times too many. My Arai's always do a much better job than some of the cheaper helmets I have tried (DOT, Snell, be DAMN'ed).
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

DOT or Snell and you're good to go. The extra $$ just make the helmet quieter and maybe add better venting, graphics and stuff.

My FF is and HJC-CL15 I think. Good enough, kinda loud with regards to wind. Reasonable price.

I go with the MX style on super hot days or DS riding days for better ventilation.
I've had few bugs rammed in, but with a snug helmet and good fitting goggles it's never caused a problem.
Bugs in my FF, with visor up are more of a problem.
Bruce
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

this is a great dual sport helmet, shame they are so DAMN proud of it, got mine for $400. the plastic pieces on top break when wacked against objects at rest. Can be used as regular MX helmet with goggles, has faceshield to use with or with out visor, can be everything from a full on race helmet to a street bike lid. Super comfy and its very well built.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ ... s/xd3black
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:this is a great dual sport helmet, shame they are so DAMN proud of it, got mine for $400. the plastic pieces on top break when wacked against objects at rest. Can be used as regular MX helmet with goggles, has faceshield to use with or with out visor, can be everything from a full on race helmet to a street bike lid. Super comfy and its very well built.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ ... s/xd3black
$400? a bit steep for me!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

$400. helmet for a $400. head :poser:

I find the required comfort level of a quality helmet increases respective to duration/conditions.

Q = t/c - b (an unknown variable)

Quality required Equals (time / condtions) less beer
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

To get reviews and some indication of size - check out http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... et-faq.htm
and they give pretty accurate reviews at http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm
that includes enduro full face helmets with built in shields.... Such as the
▪ Arai XD3

▪ Simpson GS3 MX

▪ Zeus ZS-2100 B
▪ Marushin X-Moto Squadron

▪ HJC CL-XS

▪ Arai XD
▪ Airoh S4

▪ Shoei Hornet

I have a hornet and it's one of hte best helmets I have ever had for the dirt and street..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
GSSteve
DAMN n00b

Post by GSSteve »

I just bought an AFX FX37Ds dual sport helmet, looks and functions like the Arai XD and the Shoei Hornet but is only $103 shipped. I got it the other day and although I have not ridden with it yet, it fits well and is comfortable.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx