I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

bike help... dr650 vs xr650l

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

bike help... dr650 vs xr650l

Post by hondahawkrider »

Been away for a bit - got hitched (again) - sold the sxc to pay some expenses - soon to be dad... However, the Mrs has authorized a few $$ to try and pick up a dr650 or a xr650l.... Not really into a klr, there great bikes - but I still have the KTM 620 Adv in pieces thats slowly being worked on, so the idea is at some point I will have a bigger adv single... So in the meantime I'm allowed to go and get a dual sport to play with in the mean time...

So im looking for a low maintenance dual sport that will do the slab and will do the dirt... So I am looking for opinions on the dr and xrl... Also, if anyone knows of a good price on one....

Thanks in Advance...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: bike help... dr650 vs xr650l

Post by Bucho »

I'll chime in and tell you how awesome the DR650 is.
Seriously, they are pretty fraggin similar. Stock for stock the Honda has better suspension, the DR is very soft. The DR also has very high gearing, (for a dirt/dualsport). The DR has an odd 17 inch rear tire, some people complain about that, but they still make plenty of 17 inch tires from street to dirt. The DR comes stock w/ an oil cooler.

However, if you a 200lbs, you are probably getting stiffer springs anyway, on either bike, but the DR needs it more. A one tooth smaller front sprocket is nice on the DR.

Both bikes wake up considerably w/ a rejet/highflow airfilter/exhuast...

As stated above, they are pretty similar. For whatever reason, you are probably more likely to find cheap used DR's babied by guys who do very little real offroad. And besides Suzuki is way better for Honda...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

Uncorked XR650L :thumbup:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

This link: http://userweb.magpage.com/cfaison/septtrip.html

Is a trip report from a ride I did in 2001. I was on my XR650L and my buddy was on his DR650. You may find some useful nuggets in there, but I can't make any promises.

The same DR did a SaddleSore 1000 in 1998. http://userweb.magpage.com/cfaison/ss1000.html

FWIW, that DR is currently for sale, cheap. It has a bunch of miles (maybe 28k), but still runs and looks very good.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If you can't leave stuff alone, and suffer from an incurable need to hot rod stuff, get an XR. You'll be the beneficiary of many years of Honda's involvement in Baja racing, and the vibrant aftermarket that involvement has spawned.

If you want a decent, durable bike that you can comfortably run on the highway, get the DR. There's plenty of improvement that can be made, but there are fewer options.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

a street legal XR600 would be my pick if you can find one. they handle way better in the dirt than a xr650 but arent as nice on the road for top end but what knobbie bike is nice on the road. if you get lucky bet you can find a fresh one for under $2K, dont get a well used XR600 or XR650L after a while the frame gets weak above the left footpeg and in general they become very loose feeling.

i like the DS, it rides and steers good but it is heavy and that 17" sucks for tire selection
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

thanks for the info... it's much appreciated

price is my major limitation.... I have found 2 good shape bikes for under 2500.. One is a 97 klr (not my first choice) and a 98 dr650se that looks allot like my 98 dr350se that I really like - (white with purple frame).. Ok it's not the manliest of colors - but I really like the dr350.. If it's still for sale - I will probably pick it up this weekend...
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

hondahawkrider wrote:thanks for the info... it's much appreciated

price is my major limitation.... I have found 2 good shape bikes for under 2500.. One is a 97 klr (not my first choice) and a 98 dr650se that looks allot like my 98 dr350se that I really like - (white with purple frame).. Ok it's not the manliest of colors - but I really like the dr350.. If it's still for sale - I will probably pick it up this weekend...
Just FYI, the DR650 I mentioned is probably available for ~$1,300 or so. It's in very good shape and was never abused. It was ridden by a mellow fat guy (he's my friend, I can say that) since new.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

motojunky wrote:
hondahawkrider wrote:thanks for the info... it's much appreciated

Just FYI, the DR650 I mentioned is probably available for ~$1,300 or so. It's in very good shape and was never abused. It was ridden by a mellow fat guy (he's my friend, I can say that) since new.
wow... if it runs for that $$ it's a good deal.. I got snaked on the dr650 I thought I could get ... oh well.. Anyway, I have a line on a nx650, right now.. if that falls thru - I will want more info..

thanks
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If the DR is a '98 or '99, Suzuki eliminated the back-torque eliminator clutch out of the starter motor, presumably to save money. These motors are known to break engine cases (especially on high-mileage motors) because the motor, when shut off, on it's last revolution diesels at TDC and turns the motor backwards, somehow back-feeding force into the starter gears. If it hasn't had the torque limiter installed, budget $200 right away to install it. Keintech sells a kit for $170, but it's just Suzuki parts, and you can get them from Ron Ayers for $130.