I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wasp progress report

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Wasp progress report

Post by Rut Row »

davej wrote:ken, did you get the motor re-fastened to the frame? i felt bad bringing it back in like that. i think the monkey was a bit nervous but i had fun scooting around. dave
Yup - ended up buying new bolts and lock nuts (much needed) and also had new spacers made so I could ditch the plethora of washers used.

Currently all the shocks are being rehab'd and the new crack in the frame is being welded. Also, the vibration from the loose mounts cracked the expansion chamber . But... the bike is 24 years old! It deserves a little more attention before we abuse it again! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

Ken,

Just curious if you are going to replace the expansion chamber or repair, and if you are going to repair, how? I have a crack in the fat part of the one on my kx, and I don't want to replace it if there is a repair that is effective.
bunch of bike I don't ride...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mtd679 wrote:Ken,

Just curious if you are going to replace the expansion chamber or repair, and if you are going to repair, how? I have a crack in the fat part of the one on my kx, and I don't want to replace it if there is a repair that is effective.
Curtis thinks he can weld the chamber - it is 100% custom so I don't look forward to replacing it
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

pipes are easy to weld or braze. drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from traveling.

most times when pipes crack its from not being mounted in a free position. it can happen from just lining it up wrong to the pipe being bent. on bikes they they get bent backwards and inwards, wrapping around the engine over time
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Latest update

- The expansion chamber is off to JetHot to be coated.
- The shocks are almost done and should be here in two weeks. He had to order a new check valve for one of the WPs.
- The frame has been repaired
-- The crack has been welded and reinforced
-- The rounded out engine mounts replaced
- Lastly, the engine case motor mounting points have been repaired

:knary:

Hopefully in 3 weeks or less, Bucho and I will be :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Ken
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Sounds like a trip to Green Ridge will be in order in about three weeks then!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Awesome.

I'll be back to having weekends off around then, so I guess that works.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

SAaaaweeet!

Keep up the good work, Ken!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:Sounds like a trip to Green Ridge will be in order in about three weeks then!
I was thinking Breezewood Proving Ground MX track.

We'll need to DAMN near completely re-setup the bike, adust shocks, brakes, etc.
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

The saga of the Black Hole

Post by Rut Row »

turns out the main shock is toast. Lucky for me I had purchased off of fleabay a spare CR500 shock. It is on it's way to CA to have parts scavanged off of it. :rant:

The WP from the hack is toast as well and beyond salvage. I'm having a custom shock made for the hack. :fitz:

The good news - The shocks for the leading link forks are rebuildable :knary:

I'm beginning to wonder if Bucho and I are going to get to ride this thing again this year :foul:
Ken