I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

pitted fork tube

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
badguy
DAMN Expert

pitted fork tube

Post by badguy »

So I finally got around to changing the leaky fork seals on the Beta (1986 TR33). I ended up having to cut out the seal on the not-so-leaky side since the outer tube was ovalled a little bit, but I got the new one back in. I go to pull the really leaky fork apart and see this:

I don't know what happened to this bike in its previous life, but it wasn't good. :shrug:

Any ideas as to a bandaid fix? I don't feel too good about being able to find a replacement tube, and the pits look too deep to buff out with an emory cloth. Given the trouble I had with the other side, I think I'll just leave it as is (with the old seal, too) and just tie something around the fork leg to absorb any leaking oil, topping it off once in a while.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: pitted fork tube

Post by motojunky »

badguy wrote:So I finally got around to changing the leaky fork seals on the Beta (1986 TR33). I ended up having to cut out the seal on the not-so-leaky side since the outer tube was ovalled a little bit, but I got the new one back in. I go to pull the really leaky fork apart and see this:

I don't know what happened to this bike in its previous life, but it wasn't good. :shrug:

Any ideas as to a bandaid fix? I don't feel too good about being able to find a replacement tube, and the pits look too deep to buff out with an emory cloth. Given the trouble I had with the other side, I think I'll just leave it as is (with the old seal, too) and just tie something around the fork leg to absorb any leaking oil, topping it off once in a while.
JB weld to fill the pits and emory cloth to smooth it out. Not the best fix ever but I have heard several success stories.

I will see a guy next week who has some old NOS Beta parts. I'll see if he has any fork tubes.

There used to be a company called "forks by frank" or something like that that made/ sold custom fork tubes. No idea if they are still around.

I would JB Weld it and ride it. :ride:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... 621&page=2

There's a guy parting a Beta over on ADVrider...
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Why do I always forget about JB weld? Thanks for the idea!

I already cleaned it out and refilled it with new oil. I'll fool around with it as is and then try the JB weld next week if it leaks too much without it. :thumbup: I'm trying to avoid spending money on it for the time being, but if it comes down to it, I'll email that guy on ADV.

Thanks!
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

You could also send the tubes out to be replated at one of the shops that does that, it seems to me I saw something on cafe Huskey about a shop in CA. that does it. The bigger question is the fork bushings on those things must be toast because they are generally teflon coated to prevent the condition you have. The forks may be bent or terribly misalaigned to have caused them to pit and wear the way they have, looks like metal to metal damage. Time to disassamble the forks if you haven't already. good luck
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Yeah, I realized as I was putting it all back on the bike that it's all in pretty bad shape. When I took the front end apart nothing stood out as being misaligned, but it was clear when I tried aligning the wheel. I don't know if I'm missing a spacer or if things are bent (I guess there's a good chance the fork is bent with the damage to the tube...) but I'll pull it apart again next week and see if I can figure it out. I'll have to find someone who knows these bikes since I can't find any info on them online.

DAMN.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

On ADV Rider in the Trials section a guy has posted he is parting out a TR-33.
Listed in the Beta TR-32 post by Lomax, post #18 has the email of the guy stating he is parting out a TR-33.
Just saying might be worth contacting him.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Boom Boom wrote:On ADV Rider in the Trials section a guy has posted he is parting out a TR-33.
Listed in the Beta TR-32 post by Lomax, post #18 has the email of the guy stating he is parting out a TR-33.
Just saying might be worth contacting him.
Look up about 4 posts... :lol2:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

:lol2: Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy...I just hope he's close enough that I can look at the parts instead of just having them shipped.

Does anyone know someone else in the area with one of these? I saw that Daves08excr sold a TR34 to someone else on here, but from his pictures it looks like his forks are backward (or mine are...) so I'm not sure if they're set up the same.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I recently acquired an 85 TR32.
You looking for parts, comparisons or compassion :shrug: :lol2:
Bruce