Hello

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Hello

Post by Damage Inc. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 am

I guess I'm should introduce myself. My name is Thom and I have an 8 year old that loves to ride. I've been riding on and off for about 25 years. I have a wore out old ass KX125(91) that needs too much work to be worth repairing...if anyone wants parts I'll let go of everything but the engine. It still runs very well considering all the abuse it has put up with. My current ride is an '01 DRZ400s. I just picked it up a few months ago and won't be tagging it until warmer weather comes around. That's not to say I won't ride in the cold months just not on the street.

I am an auto tech and work for a world wide shipping company maintaining there lovely vehicles so all of us can get our parts on time.

I ride as much as I can, which is never enough. That's the main reason I'm here. To meet riding buddies and find riding areas. All the places I used to ride have gone and now are housing developments or shopping centers.

:cheers:
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Bucho » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 am

Welcome. There are a bunch of DAMN guys out in the Baltimore area, I don't think they have anywhere close to ride either. At least nothing legal. Get used to driving up into PA or way out to western MD.
Get your DRZ tagged and there will be some fun offroad dualsport rides in the coming year.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:37 am

I don't mind traveling to get to a good riding area. We go to Deep Creek evey year to do some relaxing. The development has a small legal riding area thats ok for the boy. He has taken to riding very well. This past summer I took him Easton..I can't remember the name of the track...and he loved it. Unfortunately I broke my tibia...yes on the kiddy track..after about 45 minutes of riding. I endured the pain for about 3 more hours of riding and a couple hours of driving home, so I wouldn't ruin his day.
I plan on going to Doc Burtons this year, I will try to talk the wife into coming so he can come out for some of the fun also.
It seems as though all the legal areas have a minimum age of 12, so he has e few years to go before more areas open up to us...He gets very upset when I go without him. Can't say I blame him for that.

Right now mine in the garage getting some armour and needed mods/preventive maint.
'06 VTX1300r

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 am

I'm thinking you should get a dual-sport bike and take the lad with you on next year's rides! WOHOO!

and welcome!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 am

I do have the S model, just haven't tagged it yet. I think he would enjoy some two up DS rides..I wander if it's possible to tow a CR50f with a DR....????
'06 VTX1300r

motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Damage Inc. wrote:I do have the S model, just haven't tagged it yet. I think he would enjoy some two up DS rides..I wander if it's possible to tow a CR50f with a DR....????
Funny you should mention that... I stumbled into this just last night (link below) and my first thought was that I could make something similar to haul my daughter's 50. I think a sidecar would be better, but think this style trailer would be easier to make.

http://www.moto-mule.com/trailers.html
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap

Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:53 pm

HMMMM maybe I do have a use for that old KXer...or at least the rear swing arm and wheel....
'06 VTX1300r

bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Welcome Damage:
You sound just like the rest of the bunch here.

I followed the trailer build thread on ADVrider for a long time. the guy just started making those and produced the first five over the last few weeks. The swingarm and such from your KX125 is probablyt a little stiff fro a trailer though. it would be good for a sidecar though :brows: . Ken :bandit:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Welcome :thumbup: Come spring time, Mountain ridge is a great place for adults and kids. Once you're tagged, the jersey Pines are an easy drive from Baltimore too (about the same as western MD) and have some great riding.