I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WTB Kayak

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

WTB Kayak

Post by Grady »

I know a lot of you are involved in many other outdoor activities, so I figured I'd check here. I just got back from vacation where the house we rented had kayaks. Almost every morning I went out on one for a while and really enjoyed it. Now I'm interested in purchasing a cheap kayak. Don't really care what kind or style as long as it's cheap, if it floats, it'll work. Every once in a while I get the urge to go paddle around the creek behind my house, and think a kayak would be nice. However, this would be used in my free time which is almost nonexistent. So I really don't want to invest much money on something that will hardly (if ever) get used, but would like to have one if I get the urge and time. So if anyone has or knows of one thats low cost, let me know.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: WTB Kayak

Post by motojunky »

Grady wrote:I know a lot of you are involved in many other outdoor activities, so I figured I'd check here. I just got back from vacation where the house we rented had kayaks. Almost every morning I went out on one for a while and really enjoyed it. Now I'm interested in purchasing a cheap kayak. Don't really care what kind or style as long as it's cheap, if it floats, it'll work. Every once in a while I get the urge to go paddle around the creek behind my house, and think a kayak would be nice. However, this would be used in my free time which is almost nonexistent. So I really don't want to invest much money on something that will hardly (if ever) get used, but would like to have one if I get the urge and time. So if anyone has or knows of one thats low cost, let me know.
Keep an eye out on CL. They pop up cheap from time to time, but go quick. The nice thing is that once you own it, you're done spending money on it and it will last forever.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

That's what I was thinking. Something with little to no maintenance, and no problems if it sits unused for a while.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Grady wrote:That's what I was thinking. Something with little to no maintenance, and no problems if it sits unused for a while.
Make sure it is stored properly :deal:

We have two and I got each for under two bills at a large sporting goods store.
I was watching and waiting for the sales and one was mis-priced.

Good luck!
Bruce
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

I am looking into a couple of yaks too. CL has little and what they do have are not much less than what is on sale new. I am going to Dick's with the old lady this weekend and I'm looking to come back with 2-set-ups for less than a grand.

I took the family to the Cacapon river and they had a blast. I just need one that will float me.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I've noticed the same thing. I've been looking more @ the sit on ton top kind, thinking it may be easier to fish from and hold my gear. Plus if it's hot, easy to throw my feet over in the water. Still looking for that good deal though.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

They do pop up cheap, but not often and they go quick. My brother picked up a pair for $200 a while ago.

You could always build one of these on the cheap: http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

I built a 1/2 size one a few years back with my daughter. It took about 10 hours total and cost next to nothing as I had much of the stuff laying around the garage. I didn't buy the kit, I just eyeballed the measurements from pics online.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Grady wrote:I've noticed the same thing. I've been looking more @ the sit on ton top kind, thinking it may be easier to fish from and hold my gear. Plus if it's hot, easy to throw my feet over in the water. Still looking for that good deal though.
:lol2: More like tip over and fall in easier kind.
You should try the different styles if you can, there is a huge difference. And it also depends on the type of water you plan to be on.
I'm no expert, but this is our second year with 'yaks and I've learned a lot (mostly the hard way).
Bruce
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I've used both types several times, and never felt unstable on the sit on top kind. I've even been on one in the surf and felt stable. It would mostly be used in the bay and also the creek by my house for recreation and fishing. I don't plan on really taking it anywhere else. If I have to transport anything in the truck for hobby, it'll be the bike not the kayak.