I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Steering bearings......

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
code
DAMN Poohba

Steering bearings......

Post by code »

Just put new tires on, and cuz I'm lazy I had the shop do it. While it was there they lowered the bike too, & noticed that my steering bearings are over tightened. The shop head said that it can cause tracking problems & eventually notch. It's obviously something I need to adjust as to get it before the notching happens. However, I'm curious if this could be the cause of one of my other concerns. Around turns it doesn't want to turn (like the guy said about tracking) so when I push into the turn it almost feels like it wants to wobble like a "speed wobble" but obviously not. Anyone ever cross something similar? I know what loose bearings feel like, this is the first time I've had over tightened bearings and haven't touched that part of the bike since getting it. As far as I know, the previous owner didn't do this either, so I'm thinking that the shop he bought it from new did the crappy setup. Lol
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Re: Steering bearings......

Post by B DIRT »

get on those bearings man :whip:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

The usual symptom of over tight steering bearings is high speed wander/wobble/hunting caused by the drag preventing the bike from making the constant small corrections needed to keep it going straight.

If over tightening is severe, it can also cause low speed steering problems.

It should be easy to adjust. You want just enough drag to feel it when turning the bars with the front wheel off the ground.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

as long as they are smooth the whole way your good, be sure they are well lubed but head bearings being tight on a dirt bike isnt such a bad thing and shouldnt make your front end push. I keep my head bearings fairly tight, enough that i feel a slight drag.