I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New rider, new area, looking for riding input

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: New rider, new area, looking for riding input

Post by motojunky »

phoo wrote:Carpool or you can probably get a small, open trailer for behind your car. The bike isn't all that heavy, though that civic isn't all that powerful, eh? :)

~Patrick
My old beater '93 civic pulls a 4x8 trailer & bike just fine. I usually use my truck to haul, but with fuel prices going nuts, I think I'll be using the honda more often.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Ballsnark

New rider, new area, looking for riding input

Post by Ballsnark »

Hey DAMN riders,

I'm new here in a couple ways. First, I'm new to MD as of fairly recently. Second, I've got a 2005 drz400S with a supermoto setup and the stock S wheelset with some nice knobbies. I bought it in this setup from a good friend. Unfortunately, I've never taken it out of its urban home so it has only ever seen sumo riding.

That being said, I come from downhill biking and see lots of parallels, other than that my dizzer is about 260lbs heavier. I really want to put the knobbies on and go to town.

Final thing. I was dumb, and bought a Honda Civic (facepalm). Any thoughts on how I can get to trails? I don't want to shred my dirt tires trekking 50mi to VA or WV. I have been thinking about just sucking it up and renting a u-haul. Thoughts? I heard there is some trails in MoCo, but I would prefer not to tread where I don't belong.

P.S. I'd like to go on some DAMN rides. I poked around a little, sounds badass.

Thanks!
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Welcome to the DAMN group :thumbup:
Keep an eye on the boards, and don't be afraid to speek up when you need a ride. Many of us have trucks or trailers and don't mind carpooling.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Carpool or you can probably get a small, open trailer for behind your car. The bike isn't all that heavy, though that civic isn't all that powerful, eh? :)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Welcome new guy. W/ your sumo setup you aren't too far from some nice roads just north of you. Not offroading, but some fun twisty pavement and dirtroads.

With gas prices being what they are, I'm sure you can find some guys to truck pool with.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I use a 1988 Dodge Aries (k car) = 95hp. I tow a drz 400 on a 4X8 jiffy trailer. It's a slow go up the mountains (45mph).
Make sure to use a larger trans cooler, if your going to do that. A shift kit helps too.
Ballsnark

Post by Ballsnark »

Rad! thanks for the input!

I have found some alright roads around me for sumo, most are in potomac. Also, the poolesville area has some nice stuff esp since the pavement is too lumpy for any other moto class. I just found Gambrill recently and those roads are AWESOME. WV is cool, but it's too far.

I'm trying to run the finances right now but I think I want to get a hitch for the civic and a single rail trailer. I've got a 2k9 so it's not exactly my "beater" so much as my "car for the next 10 years." I found a 150lb trailer that fits in a duffel bag! (wtf?). Thanks again for the inputs. I may have to jump in on some carpooling.

See ya out there.
brownwhale

Post by brownwhale »

I'm in the same boat, '05 DRZS w/ both wheel setups, so far only doing the sumo thing, there are some great gravel roads up near Frederick, for pavement only, sumo friendly rides with a mix of sumo and sportbikes check out www.dcsportbikes.us Also Summit point has some great sumo track days I'll certainly be attending. Used to pull a 4x8 trailer with my Ford Focus with no issues, it really doesn't take much. I need to put my knobbies back on every once in a while and tackle some real off roading.
pschuler

Post by pschuler »

I'm in Derwood just south of you. Did you bring your DH bike to MD? I ride too when I can and there are guys that shuttle every weekend not far from Gaithersburg.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Dude... we're right next to some serious badass sumo roads - most are north of 121 though. I've got a few loops that I ride - you can sub some asphalt bypasses for some of the less-maintained dirt, but for the most part there are a couple of hundred miles of great, vacant, poorly maintained, hilly/twisty asphalt for sumo riding up this way.

Regarding the trailer, I drug my BMW GS to Cali behind my Protege and back behind a BMW 328i. If you have a stick shift it's easier, if it's an auto keep it out of overdrive and throw a cooler on 'er, if possible. BTW - my trailer was $300 for the rolling chassis at Tractor Supply, fit with decking boards and motorcycle chocks/strap points. I can lift it myself and stand it against the wall in my garage when not in use - it takes up 1'. Actually, I never use it anymore if you're looking to purchase one.