I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

tubeless tire

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
b3h
DAMN Wanabe

tubeless tire

Post by b3h »

Anyone got any tricks to gettin my tubeless tire to seat the rim? :wallbash: It aint even close in some places. About ready to put a tube and rimlock on the DAMN thing. :lol2:
brownwhale

Re: tubeless tire

Post by brownwhale »

you need something that will get the air into there fast, quicker than it can escape through the gap. apply extra lube to make the bead pop easier
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Dishsoap, water, and air pressure (remove the valve stem). If you can't build the pressure with a compressor, put a ratcheting tie-down strap around the circumfurance, ratchet it nice and tight, and try bouncing it while hitting with high pressure (90psi) air. DO NOT LET IT REACH 90PSI! Once both beads 'PoP', back off to zero, relube, and run it up to operating pressure.

BTW - if this fails and you're feeling adventurous, WD-40 and lighter work well - but don't go overboard.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Before mounting up a tubeless trials tire I will stuff (2) tubes in the tire and inflate for a day or so.
That does a nice job of helping get the bead close enough to take air.
Also I use (2) air hoses, one clipped on the valve stem flowing air and one to a blow gun to shoot blasts of air where it is not sealed.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Sometimes a ratchet strap around the tire will work. Otherwise a little starter fluid and a match will work.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

You can try setting the tire and rim next to the heater too. (Similar, slower version of Wingfixer's suggestion :ride: ). You definitely need a compressor that can develop enough PSI.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
b3h
DAMN Wanabe

Post by b3h »

Thanks everyone. I have a feelin that my little compressor is not gettin enough of an initial good shot to force the the tire bead to the rim. I have 2 rachet straps on the thing and it seems they are not helping. I have also heard of some kind of grease that the big trucks use to slip the bead to the rim, anyone used anything like that. My neighbor has a larger compressor so I will borrow that and give it another go. :wallbash:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

We have a "bead blaster" in our shop for getting big truck tires to take air.
Basicly just a larger portable air tank with a large 1/4 turn valve to deliver a large volume of air fast.
Would be easy enough to make a smaller version by adding some larger valves to your air tank.
The starter fluid and a match works also, just do it out side.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Boom Boom wrote: The starter fluid and a match works also, just do it out side.
And video, please. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I wish I had some video of when I used to seat the beads on big mudder truck tires. I used to work at a shop in Daytona Beach that specialized in lifting trucks and putting huge tires on them, the only way we could get the tires to seat on the rims was to spray 13-22 seconds (yes we timed it and had it figured out by tire size) out of a starter fluid can and aim a butane torch at it. The wheel and tire would jump about 2 feet off the ground. I also had no arm hair for the 2 years I worked there. If done properly the tire would end up with just about the right amount of pressure in it.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.