I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Rare Find: Stock 1988 FZR 400

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
shift

Rare Find: Stock 1988 FZR 400

Post by shift »

Hey ladies and gents, I hate to do it, but I need to sell my baby as I am moving to Lake Tahoe in the next few weeks.

A little about the 400: 400's were only available in the US from 1988 to 1990, when 600's then became available. Most fzr 400's were raced, as they were excellent handling bikes, and damaged in doing so. Finding untracked, unmolested, stock 400's is hard these day. With some quick searching, you can sometimes find this bike for sale in excellent original condition from $4,000 - $6,000.

I bought it about 3 years ago with 25k miles on it and spent about 70 hours restoring it. Work done: rebuilt brake calipers, new fork oil, head to toe cleaning, installed a tiny manual fan switch, plugs, filters, etc., cleaned the cooling system, complete carb clean, and much more I don't remember off the top of my head. Since owning this bike, I have put 10k onto it and it ran cherry. It was used gently for commuting by the previous owner and has been garaged it's entire life. I used it for some weekend rides and got compliments almost every time I took it for a spin. It has never been ridden on a race track, except to pose for a few pictures as seen below. I got the current tires from a friend who races his 400, so it looks like it has been on the track. Only a fool would take a bike this original to a track day. This bike is 99% stock equipment!

Last year, I had a local shop dyno tune the engine (RnR Cycles of Sterling) and a good buddy of mine who is sponsored by RnR took it to the Maxton mile. He made 3, maybe 4 passes total and set a new record for the stock 400cc class -- so yes, it runs great! I have the East Coast Timing Association certification to prove, comes with the bike. You can watch the video in the link in my signature line of the actual run witch set the new standing mile record for it's class. Since then, it has not been ridden and has been covered in my garage for the past 16 months. Currently, I am cleaning the carbs to make sure it is 100% cherry for the next owner.

The body is all stock plastics and the fairings have some small scratches in them. The left side has some cracks in the plastic where the previous owner hit a 2x4 on his way to work. In the 10k miles i put on it, no more damage has occurred. Overall, the damage is not too noticeable unless you are up close. Check out the pictures i took shortly after restoring it. It looks exactly the same, except not as clean right now. I rode it to Indy for the inaugural Moto GP races and it rained on me on the highway. So with some time invested, the new owner can have it looking just like in my pictures.

Extras for the bike include: a fox twin clicker shock (not currently installed. Adjustment knob is not moving, but makes a huge improvement in the ride of the bike. I had to remove it for the Maxton Mile) a tinted windscreen which i never installed, and an extra set of rotors.

The only things bad that I recall are that it burns a little oil (nothing serious though) and one of the rotors has a pulsing to it, which is why I have the second set of rotors.

The brake pads are brand new ebc hh's. The chain and sprockets are recently replaced too with about 3k miles on them. Brand new NGK plugs with less than 20 miles on them. Coolant is 16 months old, as is the brakes fluids. I will be replacing the battery prior to the sale too. I've pretty much covered everything on this bike, but haven't had the time to iron out the pulsing in the front brake yet. I've kept everything as stock as I can to keep that unmolested classic look. I hate to let it go, but I have too many bikes and toys to haul across country with me.

Asking 2750, but willing to entertain reasonable offers. I am located in Leesburg, Virginia. Clean title in hand. Delivery is possible if needed. I just hope someone can give this great bike a good home...

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Rare Find: Stock 1988 FZR 400

Post by Wingfixer »

Wish I had the cash, that thing looks like a perfect track bike.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Anybody want to buy a Ford pick-up, or a slightly used kidney???

Nice bike, I love the Jap bikes from the 70's and 80's.
shift

Post by shift »

Wingfixer wrote:Wish I had the cash, that thing looks like a perfect track bike.
SERIOUSLY???

why would anyone buy a rare bike in great condition to flog into a track bike? if you came to me with 3k cash in hand and plans on tracking this bike, i wouldn't sell it to you.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

shift wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:Wish I had the cash, that thing looks like a perfect track bike.
SERIOUSLY???
I'm pretty sure he baited you, referencing your third paragraph. ;)

BTW, gorgeous bike. I've never seen one that wasn't raced and/or beaten to Hell.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
shift

Post by shift »

phoo wrote:
shift wrote:
SERIOUSLY???
I'm pretty sure he baited you, referencing your third paragraph. ;)

BTW, gorgeous bike. I've never seen one that wasn't raced and/or beaten to Hell.

~Patrick
dear god i would hope so. lol :lol2:

i forgot to attach the link to the maxton mile footage...
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Ah, yeah. I guess humor/sarcasm doesn't come through very well through the interwebs. My sense of humor can be an acquired taste. Its a real shame you have to part with that beauty, its one of those things you will regret getting rid of, I am sure.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
shift

Post by shift »

sometimes, it's hard to tell without smilies or "lol's". not to mention, i'm beginning to lose my faith in humanity.

had an experience on another forum where some guy tried some kinda "call out", and when i returned the favor, he was like -- DAMN, i was just kinda joking.... (in that case, i still suspect otherwise) but in any case, it motivated me to make this, ha ha:

if i can't find a good home for it, i guess i'll just have to make room and take it. i had more fun restoring it than simply owning it. but yes, it will be greatly missed if it goes.
OnOff
DAMN Expert

Post by OnOff »

A couple years ago, a young grad student at Hopkins took the MSF course and asked me what bike to buy. She is a fairly petite woman and wanted a cafe bike of sorts. I told her to consider the FZR400 and some months later tells me she found one in MINT condition in Bucks County north of Philly. A brother of mine who lives in that area checked it out before she drove up there to look at it. Sure enough it was MINT condition and looked like it just came out of the box. It also had a LOUD D&D exhaust. The little thing sounded like a mini formula car with its HIGH rev capability. She was not prepared to ride it home at this tender point in her cycle riding career and decided I95 was not the place for her first long ride. I rode it back for her and had a blast on that little flickable bike. It LOVES to rev, falls into corners when you look at them, and the only thing I didnt like about it was that LOUD exhaust on it! Long story short, she had it parked in a parking garage and pulled deep into the parking space a car would normally go into. BAD IDEA. I ALWAYS park near the OUTSIDE end of the space on a bike so cars will see you BEFORE they swing into the space. Sadly a car swung into that space and totalled the bike. GRRRR
Somebody buy this bike and thrash the hell out of it on a track! That is what it was DESIGNED for and it would be a sweet little track bike! :amazon:
Time spent riding is not deducted from one's life...
shift

Post by shift »

she's still for sale and i'm motivated to sell. pm offers if you are seriously interested. this bike has to go!