I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Michaux Riding

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Michaux Riding

Post by jgreene »

If anyone has the opportunity to follow SoPaRider thru Michaux, I highly recommend that you jump at the chance. He is an excellent guide and knows every inch of this place. He peppered me with rocks for 110 miles in 3 hours this past Saturday morning (this includes 2 gas stops). I will warn you though, this is not a sightseeing, leisurely ride, be prepared to stay on the gas. Jeff hauls the mail and puts down the miles.

Thanks for letting me tag along Jeff, I had a blast. :thumbup:

Jim
Member R&T Club, and GMER
SoPaRider
DAMN n00b

Re: Michaux Riding

Post by SoPaRider »

First time back online since returning from an 8 day, 9 state, 2 province, 2,200 mile ride with my wife Karen on our '07 wee strom, no computers or cell phones the entire ride! Just came across your post Jim, glad to have you along for the ride and hope you enjoyed your little taste of what Michaux has to offer, sorry about the roost though. I'm hoping to put the finishing touches on a project that I've been working on that will include turn by turn directions of a dual sport ride that will include over 700 miles of mostly unpaved roads that run in, out and through Michaux State Forest in southcentral PA in next few weeks. I've broken the routes into 9 sections with a gas stop at the beginning and end of each section. The routes will enable you to ride most of the unpaved roads in both directions, there will also be a "Best Of Michaux" route that will include the best unpaved roads out of the 9 sections and it can be run in both directions as well and finally there is a 41 mile "Michaux Express" route that runs from Mount Holly Springs, PA south to Blue Ridge Summit, PA or vice versa and is a route intended to get you from one end of Michaux to the other as fast as possible on the straightest route possible. I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in entering the routes into a GPS and I will be glad to share paper copies of the turn by turn directions to anyone who would like them.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Chambersburg, PA

'94/'96 DR350S Hybrid
'07 DL650AK7 wee strom
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

That sounds pretty awesome.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I can help! This is an incredible project and looking forward to riding it!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Sounds like a great DAMN weekend camping trip to me!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
SoPaRider
DAMN n00b

Post by SoPaRider »

It would take two or three days from sun up to sun down to ride all of the routes, unless anyone is interested in a dual sport, iron butt, night ride?! I have a blow up air seat I bought years ago from Dennis Kirk for my DR's gel seat, it enables me to run 200 to 300 miles in a day. Oh and I rode my '99 KLR650 from southcentral PA to Missouri, twice, just over 1,000 miles each, although it was mostly on interstates!

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Night time dual sport iron butt rides you say? IN!! I say!!

:peep:

Seriously though, it does sound like something for a three day weekend kind of adventure.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
SoPaRider
DAMN n00b

Post by SoPaRider »

I failed to mention that the two 1,000 mile rides on my KLR were done in under 24 hours. The first one to Higginsville, MO, took 17 hours, my original plan was to ride to Hutchinson, KS, halfway across the U.S. in one day, but a giant wall cloud appeared over I-70 and blocked my way through Kansas City. Soon after I pulled off the road for the day, it began to hail and two tornados crossed I-70 near my hotel. The second 1,000 mile ride to Springfield, MO, only took me 14 hours and went off without a hitch, I stopped for gas every 200 miles, 5 tanks of gas did the trick and I ended up averaging just over 70 m.p.h.. Since then I'm happy to average 400 miles a day on my 650 wee strom, althought my wife and I have done several 500 mile days on it. We've ridden 38,000 miles in 41 months so far and we had to cancel/reschedule an 8,000 mile ride to Hyder, AK this past June due to a death in the family two days before we were to leave. We're attemping to ride the wee in 49 states, D.C. and 13 provinces, made it to 41 states, D.C. and 5 provinces so far.

Jeff (SoPaRider)