I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Accountability on Group Rides

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Accountability on Group Rides

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I have to say that this is one area in which the East Coast kicks the shit out of the West Coast.

I have been on a few group rides out here and it's like being thrown to the wolves. Not only will you get stuffed into a corner if you're going too slow, you get left behind without a second thought.

I don't know if this is everyone out here, or just the groups I've fallen in with -- one group is a bunch of retired guys that have ridden together -- make that ridden together DAMN Fast -- for 20 years, and their MO is "Hey, we'll meet for lunch at that red burger shack in New Cuyama." Since they're either all fast they get there together, or know how to get there, no problem. Never been to New Cuyama? Don't lose sight of the guy in front b/c nobody is waiting at corners or anywhere.

The other group is a bunch of former and current road and/or desert racers. It's like being in a race with no yellow or red flags. Fall down? Wait for the ambulance on your own, slacker. With this group, you can usually catch them because they're pulling off on scenic spots for a "safety meeting" which involves fire, pocket-sized tubular hardware, and a popular horticultural product. Two guys from this group have knowingly left either mortally injured or dead-at-the-scene riders behind. I suspect they don't want scrutiny from the law, but still, that's fucking wrong.

I enjoy the riding, but the dog-eat-dog culture is a bit wearing. I swear, it's the pirate code in real life.
What? In "laid back" Cali? :poser:

At least these guys are putting my reasonable, considerate, and moderately paced rides into perspective. :ride:

Personally, I don't see the point to group rides if you can't enjoy riding as part of the group. As ride leader, for me, ensuring that the group is indeed enjoying the ride is part of the satisfaction from leading.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

mdubya wrote:I don't see the point to group rides if you can't enjoy riding as part of the group.
:harhar: :poser: :harhar: :peep: :amazon: :peep:

I will leave this subject, with this ... there are those on this forum that have ridden for some time, have taken track days or other courses, have far more experience(s) then others and have ridden together moreso then others. On group rides, those people most definitely stand out and who those that are relatively new to the "off-road" stuff. People on the street tend to blend together somewhat as far as experience levels go, however, high speed twisties tend to do the same as stated above. You have the "slinky" effect on the street. Off-road, you just loose sight of each other hoping that someone is waiting at the next turn.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

code wrote:
mdubya wrote:I don't see the point to group rides if you can't enjoy riding as part of the group.
:harhar: :poser: :harhar: :peep: :amazon: :peep:

I will leave this subject, with this ... there are those on this forum that have ridden for some time, have taken track days or other courses, have far more experience(s) then others and have ridden together moreso then others. On group rides, those people most definitely stand out and who those that are relatively new to the "off-road" stuff. People on the street tend to blend together somewhat as far as experience levels go, however, high speed twisties tend to do the same as stated above. You have the "slinky" effect on the street. Off-road, you just loose sight of each other hoping that someone is waiting at the next turn.
FWIW - I can say enough good things about the American Supercamp class... It make a huge improvement in one's offroad riding..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

code wrote:I will leave this subject, with this ... there are those on this forum that have ridden for some time, have taken track days or other courses, have far more experience(s) then others and have ridden together moreso then others.
spotster

Post by spotster »

First...I was never lost. I lost the group in front of me by waiting to long to follow them and I was too lazy to turn around when I realized that I'd lost them. My mistake was that I did not switch my gps to part 2 of the Saturday ride after the water xing so when I started looking at the gps it kept trying to take me back to the water crossing route. No big deal. I knew where I needed to end up at the end of the day so I switched to part 2 and continued. My only worry was that others would waste time trying to figure out where I was. Apologies to everyone who was concerned for my whereabouts. I appreciate the fact that the group was keeping an eye out for each rider. I did have Jason's number but I could not get a decent signal anywhere I stopped.

I do not generally make it a habit to ride goat trails by myself but the situation presented itself and I got myself into a situation that required a long downhill hike on my part. Who would have thought that there was not one single house until the bottom of the OLD FIRE TOWER ROAD. It was so much fun going up that I couldn't stop. :whoop: By the time I was serious about turning around there was no where to turn. Oh well I had a true 777 ride. After the last spill I could have got the bike spun around to point downhill but I would have had to remove the bags, the fairing and the tank. It took me less time to hike for help. I'd like to ride it again when there are other riders around (hopefully on a lighter ds). The KLR wrestling match and hike left me very tired and sore by the end of the day. In fact the major pain did not hit until after I got home Sunday. Brutal muscle cramps. Serves me right.

Anyway I guess my point is that any rider who allows themselves to become separated from a group has to be prepared to find their own way out. In my case I never go anywhere without maps or very clear personal knowledge of the way out. I do not want to depend on anyone for directions. I had a Camelback full of water and some energy bars in the bags. In situations that involve goat trails I believe it is in my own best interest to be with a group since the bike is too heavy for me to lift solo in some (read many) situations. I do not have any problem riding solo on regular dirt, gravel or paved roads. In a riding situation in a 3rd world country I would absolutely stick to a group like glue.

Thanks to everyone for their concern and I want you all to know that I was never at any time lost. I was separated from the group.

Kathy
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

spotster wrote:Thanks to everyone for their concern and I want you all to know that I was never at any time lost. I was separated from the group.
Spoken like a true DAMN Rider! :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
dc_Minnesota

Post by dc_Minnesota »

as one of the lesser experienced riders off-road, i know i will be slower than most, plus me trying to do it on a 500+lb bike ain't gonna speed me up either. I fully expect most, if not all, to be faster than me. I don't expect others to slow their pace, but I do expect that if it is a group ride that has been opened to everyone, that either 1) the rider in front slow or stop at all major turns to allow me to follow the route, or 2) require me to have a gps or roll chart. i go on these rides, so I can push myself to get better, but i don't push myself to the point of me fearing for my safety. Jason made it clear, IMO, at the beginning of the ride, that the 777 ride was a you are responsible for the rider behind you. it worked for a bit, but that's a tough requirement for 20+ riders. I ultimately liked the end result of Saturday where there were 4 or 5 groups that all made different routes to the campground (kinda like a ride to camp instead of a ride to eat situation) and let people group up with more like skilled riders.

i do agree that what is required should be laid out pre-ride (either in person or perhaps even a post of the ride rules before the ride), but that doesn't mean that every ride needs to be structured the same.
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

KEN remember the jersey ride ? I stayed behind with you and let tony and dave and most of the other DAMN riders throw some dust. :roost: I COUGHT FLAK for that were was i and i thought you could ride crap. :salute: :bow: :freakey: I EXPLAINED you were using a roll chart for the first time and too cut you some slack, and that at least i offered to help one of our founding older DAMN riders out. :harhar: . just remember theres no I in DAMN we are a group . I can ride at any level pro- novice and still have a good time :gdog: and even learn something new from that person that is a noob. remember the size of the bike means nothing if you cant ride it :boohoo: and my little klr250 rides tight with the other 650-950, klr's and husky's offroad :dirtdog: and easier to pick up :amazon: and they no who they are. its nice to ride with the DAMN group but sometimes 50-60 mph with no trophy or cash to show for it is just drag racing to me with no sceenery or wildlife to enjoy. maybe thats why alot of the riders are thinking of selling there bikes lately in the forum ? any voice on this guys. :peep: I MAY HAVE OPENED A BIG CAN OF WORMS. :lurker:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

My riding skills at first were pretty pathetic. :huh:

I guess I've improved a bit... :gdog:

My problem is Bucho and Wingfixer. :foul:

Whenever I get around them the right wrist does funny things... twitches, rolls back uncontrollably... etc... :knary:

I should have stayed with Kath and Code - woulda been just fine if I had! :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Kath

Post by Kath »

That's a part of dual sporting that I will never adopt even if I had "mad skillz." Blasting through places makes you have to focus so much on the road itself that you have to ride with blinders on. You completely miss out on your surroundings and seeing a view that, in some cases, you only have the opportunity to see because of the bike that got you there in the first place. It seems against nature to not keep a slower pace and be able take it all in. :)