I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Thinking about quitting...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Re: Thinking about quitting...

Post by Junior »

:thumbup: +10 on the small DS. :thumbup: +10 on the come out and ride the DS rides.
It`s not very often i ride on the street, But i can`t wait for the next DS ride. Boats are cool but they come with there own problems.
B O A T ( Break out another thousand) :deal:

I love boats. I`ve been a boat mechanic for almost 20 yrs. Good luck!!!! I say don`t give up riding, Just change the way you ride. :whoop:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Highway riding and commuting would make me want to quit riding too.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I'd been reduced just to commuting on the Capo for most of the past year. It's 5 miles each way, barely enough to heat up the tires. The trip to Americade was in response to an Early-Life Crisis (at 29, it better not be a Mid-Life Crisis). I hadn't done anything but commute and the occasional ride through Harford or Cecil counties, but never very long or with anyone else. I got married in '08 and my wife and I rode everywhere together that first year. In '09 she irritated her sciatic(sp.) nerve and didn't ride from the end of April until we went to the Smokies in Sept. This year we did Americade, then she had to have a cartilage tear in her wrist repaired, which puts her in an immobilization cast until late August, so there's another summer gone.

Even though it's not a money-saving commuter, I want to keep the Capo but add a smaller DS to the fleet. I originally wanted to dual sport a Honda XR400 because I liked the idea of an air cooled engine. Now, I'm thinking save myself some money and headache and get an inexpensive DRZ and a set of supermoto wheels. I've often thought about upgrading my boat too though, I have a 16 foot fiberglass boat that beats the crap out of you in all but the calmest water, and nobody but me likes going out in that boat. I've been eye-humping a Trophy walkaround in the 20-23 foot range so I can go out in rougher weather and hit the striper grounds off Seven Foot Knoll. I figure the larger, much heavier boat will be more likely to draw passengers, but that's a lot of money to lay down on something that I might still be on my own with. I guess the best choice for me would be the DRZ and to get more involved with the DAMN rides now that I have a Mon-Fri job.
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

Meant to add, you need "couple" type things to do and individual hobbies. Think about that before you go selling stuff off.
There are plenty of us on here hooking up for rides, etc. Tired of riding alone, give us a call or something.

Maybe a directory for last min. phone contact for rides isn't a bad idea.?.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Thanks folks. When I first posted I was afraid it'd come across as a "poor me" thread, but it's comforting to see I'm not alone. I'm only 28 but I feel I'm on the verge of a midlife crisis - the wedding later this month has me stressed out (even though we're already legally married), and my job has me second guessing those late nights I spent studying instead of "networking" at the fraternity houses. The real kicker is motorcycling has been such a huge part in who I am, if for no better reason than it was the only thing for a long time. The HS days of riding to be cool; the college nights of 300 mile "no helmet, no destination, no backtracking, no problem" are gone. It feels like we've had a fight and might break up - I'll miss it but I thought it would put up a bigger fight.

Long story short - I made some calls and checked some ads. We can save money if we sell our "toys" (2007 KTM 950SE, 89 XT350 that I've almost repaired since purchasing non-running, Karens' cherry 2006 CRF100F, and a 97 Seadoo Challenger 14' with a new engine and fresh carbs) and put that money towards some of my high interest education loans. We were approved for a boat loan at half the rate I'm paying for my education. In the end, we'll be saving nearly $1k annually by consolidating toys and high-rate student loans into one lower monthly boat payment, and that's enough cash to keep the boat full of fuel. :cheers:

And it'll improve my credit score. :rayof:

No wonder the American economy is hosed. :wallbash:

I think you'll see a very nice, lightly ridden, well farkled 950SE on the market in early August, with some other assorted bikes. I may wait till the off-season to pick up a smallish plated 4-stroke KTM/Husa/Husky, unless I find a good deal on one sooner - I've got some freedom in the form of Clevelands to buy before I sell the 950SE. I'll definitely show up at more events - if just to get out in MeatSpace and interact (working remotely has its' disadvantages too Jason) with real live people face-to-face.

We need to set up a social networking app to allow us to rapidly identify riding buddies and routes. I have the RDBMS qualifications and experience, are there any iPhone/Android programmers here?
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I'm sort of surprised that nobody has mentioned some of the mental aspects of riding which you are struggling with.

You mentioned that you're constantly fearful regarding safety -- for yourself and others. This is not a fun way to spend your time, so it's no surprise that you'd consider leaving riding.

One thing I have come to realize is that your comfort zone is like a balloon with a slow leak in it. If you always ride within your comfort zone, it shrinks smaller and smaller, until you wind up feeling very constricted and fearful.

For me, the process began when I quit racing and rode only on the street. I feel like it would do me a world of good to go do some track days just to get some new air into that balloon.
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Great topic for discussion. We've probably all considered this at one point in our riding carers. Likely for similar reasons. I've personally tried "quitting" but It flat out does not work. Probably why I've had a few dozen motorcycles and a S-load of bank loans and negative equity. the very brief times in my life without a motorcycle... we're spent shopping, saving, or planning somehow for my next purchase. I've often had several models at once and years ago had four bikes in my living room apartment. It's like clothes, you don't ware the same pants in the summer as you do the winter. You favor certain kinds for certain events. I also suffer from always riding alone. I never have the time or money to join most of the events the wonderful folk on this site host and never have had friends that share my level of passion about riding, specially when it includes pour weather and camping and such. So, I ride alone and have learned to love riding alone. I stop, turn, fuel, eat... do everything when I want and without having to worry about someone else's comfort or ability. I also commute 18 miles a day, not to save gas, but rather to fit in some form of riding. Otherwise you find yourself questioning the payment, or the value of an unused bike just sitting.

I read and research and otherwise live vicariously through others in the sport. Take this site and others like ADV. I love it! a large percentage of my passion is fueled by those folk doing those incredible epic rides and adventures of a lifetime. For years I've bitched and moaned trying to fit in one of those amazing journeys. Finally I've learned to realize that i'll probably never have an opportunity to do any of it. Wife, job, home, etc. All I can do is commute 18 miles a day. So I do, and I love every minute of it. If I ever get the chance to take a long adventure tour ride I'd end of taking it solo simply because of the style of riding my life allows and what I'm now accustom to.

My long winded point is (and I"m sorry to hijack your tread) Down grade, up grade and do what you have to do but we can all sense it and all share the passion that has driven you this far and know it's not ending any time soon. Upgrade the boat, and keep wife happy. "Happy wife happy life"

but you'll be back.

Cheers
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

And may I congratulate you on your upcoming marriage. Marrying my wife just 10 weeks ago has been the most rewarding and exciting thing I've done.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

FOX8505 wrote:And may I congratulate you on your upcoming marriage. Marrying my wife just 10 weeks ago has been the most rewarding and exciting thing I've done.
the second and third time is just as rewarding... :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Kyler wrote:
FOX8505 wrote:And may I congratulate you on your upcoming marriage. Marrying my wife just 10 weeks ago has been the most rewarding and exciting thing I've done.
the second and third time is just as rewarding... :harhar:
I'd have to be :screwy: to get married four times right?
To the same woman :wallbash:

We were poor, and we needed cash. A local neighborhood needed Elvis and a showgirl.

Thank you, thank you very much...

I performed weddings all night long, with Karen and mine being the last. We even received a Crazy Little Chapel of Love marriage certificate.

A few years later we were at "Historic" oldtown Sacramento during their Wild West days. A reenactor with a shotgun claimed Karen was his daughter, I knocked her up, and held a shotgun wedding in the middle of the street. Complete with a horseshoe diamond wedding ring made in front of us by the blacksmith and 1800's marriage certificate. Can't find the pictures though.

In October we tied the knot legally, at the courthouse. The tax break helped pay for part of our wedding, which will be in Costa Rica. In fact, two weeks to the hour I'll be deplaning in San Jose, with just 3 days to prepare.

I can't wait!