I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

techie question

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

techie question

Post by mdubya »

I am posting from my new laptop which is running Windows 7 (home version) and it has literally 10 times the hard drive space of my old 25 GB Dell.

I already hate the new set up. :lol2: I was running Server 2003 on the old laptop, configured to operate like XP Pro. It wasn't bells and whistles pretty, but it was all business. Using Google Chrome to browse, it was all I needed.

My question: the old laptop would not recognize the power chord and charge the battery any more. The power chord was fine. As a matter of fact I tried three different power chords, but no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

I will probably hate the old set up if I get to use it again. But the new set up feels cheap and not nearly as business like as the old set up.

:shrug:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: techie question

Post by hondahawkrider »

mdubya wrote:I am posting from my new laptop which is running Windows 7 (home version) and it has literally 10 times the hard drive space of my old 25 GB Dell.

I already hate the new set up. :lol2: I was running Server 2003 on the old laptop, configured to operate like XP Pro. It wasn't bells and whistles pretty, but it was all business. Using Google Chrome to browse, it was all I needed.

My question: the old laptop would not recognize the power chord and charge the battery any more. The power chord was fine. As a matter of fact I tried three different power chords, but no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

I will probably hate the old set up if I get to use it again. But the new set up feels cheap and not nearly as business like as the old set up.

:shrug:
Are you getting a message like this

or are you getting no light showing you have power...

If you have no light - trying turning it on without the battery (bad battery) connected and then again with it in making sure it's seated.. If it's NOT registering with a light - it's more that likely hardware and done..

If you have a light one - but nothing on the screen - that's a monitor issue.. If you have the connections - is plugging it into a standalone monitor a option...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Most common problem that I've seen is the case where you don't get a charge light when you plug it in. This typically stems from the laptop side of the power connector and usually just needs a little re-soldering. Every once in a while it takes ordering a new piece (the little plug in the laptop) but usually that piece just needs soldered back onto the board. If you're getting the error like HHR posted in the pic, then you are just using the wrong power adapter -- that doesn't sound like the problem though.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Pay yer light bill :deal:
Bruce
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

It is the battery power light coming on while the power chord is plugged in. At first unplugging, replugging, repositioning would make ther battery power light go back out and all was well. Over the last couple of days, it has become more intermittent, to the point where now the battery has just run its self out. It sounds like what biffer says, which is also what restukey diagnosed over the phone this morning.

What do you guys think of Windows 7? Does it address the fatal flaws of Vista?

Seems OK so far.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

What I think of Windows anything is that I love my MAC!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

You want all-business, you could run a free distribution of UNIX. And, that will absolutely positively fix all the security problems with Windoz. Since the code is vastly more efficient than anything coming out of MicroFlaccid, it'll make your machine run faster, too.

As long as you don't need to run any proprietary or high-end software for business, you should be golden. IIRC, Open Office (open source, free MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint clone) is available for UNIX.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I thought "all business" included being able to watch youtube, surf the net, have facebook open in the background all day, and being able to exchange moto links with your buds while they are at work, all day? :shrug: :lol2:

I still have full IT professional level versions of XP Pro and Server if I want to go back to what I had before, albeit on a newer, faster, more capable machine.

So far Win 7 is OK. It doesn't work any better than my old set up, it just looks more slick. Using Google Chrome makes everything about as fast as one could expect. I am sure I will eventually get it all tweaked just the way I want it. It took a long time to get my old set up to where it was.

The biggest annoyance is all the "free trial" stuff that is loaded onto the machine when you buy it off the shelf. Once I get all that stuff clipped out and only using my choice of least intrusive security apps, it will be fine.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Wingfixer wrote:What I think of Windows anything is that I love my MAC!
+ 1 TRILLION :thumbup: and my ipad and my iphone......

pc :censored:
Last edited by B DIRT on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Anyone have experience with the Open Office stuff? Can you open and save the newest versions of Excel? Is there a version of Outlook, etc?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC