I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Member - Northern MD

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

New Member - Northern MD

Post by Ovo »

Hello

Just wanted to give a little intro. Name is Ron and I live up in North East, MD. I meet a few of the D.A.M.N. riders this year at the ADVrider.com Maryland TAG meet and greet at Andys BBQ. I was on the 09 Kawasaki Concours (tall guy)..Well I now own an 84 Yamaha XT 600 and I'm trying to explore the world of dual sporting in Maryland and PA. Having always owned street bikes I wanted to start off cheap and get a feel for the sport.

I am hoping to have my bike inspected later this week (waiting on HI/LO beam ) switch to mailed here. And then its game on.

I think it was Skierd that was telling me about some places to ride up along the Canal in Chesapeake City, MD. Anyone else know of some areas in northern MD to check out?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ovo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Kath

Re: New Member - Northen MD

Post by Kath »

Hi and welcome! I've been riding street bikes for several years and just got a dual sport bike a year ago, so new to it as well. My husband...same situation, although he's been riding DS bikes for about 2 years. It's pretty fun, but hard to choose which to ride on a weekend sometimes. I still love my street bike a really lot :ride:
JaxObsessed

Post by JaxObsessed »

Hey Ron! Welcome. Watch the rides trips and events page. You will find all levels of riding skill and speed at the DAMN rides. Everybody is expected to have fun and run at their safety level. Fast ones wait at the changes in course so as to allow all riders to catch up at their leisure. I really appreciate the no pressure, we're all in this together attitude. :thumbup: You'll see some shit slinging, but it's all in good fun. :lol2:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Welcome to the DAMN group.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice to see you on the site. However, the eastern/Baltimore contingent is getting bigger and bigger. Soon I'm afraid you might have us western guys outnumbered.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Hey thanks everyone.

Jax - sounds like a fun place to hang out.

Kath - I know the feeling...I love my street bike too.

Still trying to get the bike set up properly - looks like maybe a rear shock from Works Performance ($659.00) is in order. So far they seem to have the best customer service and have taken the time to explain the variations in the shock types that they recommended. YSS shocks are cheaper by like $159.00. But I'm 6'6" 285lbs to I want the shock that is built for me.. :lol2:

Anyone have any preference on aftermarket shocks?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: New Member - Northern MD

Post by Rut Row »

Works is a great shop - they custom made shocks for my sidecar - great guys!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
dmar
DAMN Wanabe

Post by dmar »

There is a ride in your neck of the woods coming up soon. Check the rides section and look under susquehanna roads ride. You may get your first water crossing on that ride.
06 klx250s(300)
04 fz6 sport tour
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Thanks dmar....

I got the bike tagged today - being an old bike they let me tag it as a historic vehicle...NO INSPECTION - YEAH!!!!

I took it out on the road today and those tires don't make road riding fun :whoop: , but I cant wait to get in the dirt...I think I will have to get a 2nd set of tires with not so much of an aggressive off road setup.

Looks like for now I will have to put the bike in the truck and take to rides for now, not what I really want, but it is what it is.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Ovoidious wrote: Looks like for now I will have to put the bike in the truck and take to rides for now, not what I really want, but it is what it is.
Don't feel bad, that's what most of us DAMN riders do. For me, it's more about the ride than the journey anway :thumbup: