I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Fuel Injection, KTM & a slow morning at work

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Fuel Injection, KTM & a slow morning at work

Post by Rut Row »

Things are slow at work today so I've been trying to discover when KTM will put FI in the EXC series of bikes since the new 350 SX has it. haven't found anything btw.

It appears KTM is the last holdout to convert to FI. I guess market pressures aren't significant enough to warrant the change. The consensus on the threads I've seen is that the carb'd bikes make more horsepower and are reliable, so why change. I guess most people don't ride it far enough away from home to need to rejet so why change - a good argument.

However, I'm fantasizing about riding the 450 across the TAT and jetting out west would be an issue so I like the idea of FI. Not that it is real important, but FI bikes tend to get better gas mileage too.

So, what say ye?

also, you guys been following the new US Highland bikes? http://www.ushighland.com/

A 750cc twin adventure bike would be pretty cool. I wonder if I could afford it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
restukey
DAMN Expert

Re: Fuel Injection, KTM & a slow morning at work

Post by restukey »

No way carb is going to make more horsepower or torque. That said, the FCR carb is pretty easy to work on. I'd rather have carb issues than FI issues. It seems like the MX bikes get the more tweakable FI systems between brands, but reading about FI issues in various non MX models is disconcerting. That said, FI can produce an almost flat like A/F line when they are running right.

Didn't know the EXC had FI?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

restukey wrote:Didn't know the EXC had FI?
it doesn't - wish it did!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

The TAT is on my fantasy to do list as well. :thumbup:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

FI is great, assuming you have the tools to tune it properly. Once set up, yep, FI is the shiznit, but I still prefer carb'd bikes for DS and woods riding. Less things that can fail. You loose your battery or have electrical issues, you could have fueling issues. I know the newer bikes create the juice to power the system with the kick, so the power thing might not be a big deal, but I'll take a carb anyday. Fuel Pumps can and do fail, that is the weakest link in FI bikes.

I have ridden my carbed bikes in the Mauna Kea 200 3 times. 2 day x 100 mile each day enduro on the big island of Hawaii. Sea level to 10K feet. While you could tell a difference as you climb up, the loss of power up at altitude was so bad it killed me. For the TAT, I really wouldn't sweat it. You can get away with just dropping the needle some for the really high elevations.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Fom a "stupid simple" stand point a well tuned carb is a good set up, however the FI on my Husaberg is so smooth that I have no idea how you could improve.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Firebolter wrote:For the TAT, I really wouldn't sweat it. You can get away with just dropping the needle some for the really high elevations.
therein lies the whole point. I'm too lazy and don't want the hassle :lol2:

and FI is a well established technology - I've not read any reports stating problems related to FI.
Ken
Louge

Post by Louge »

I jetted my FCR one size down on the main (175) and one clip before departure (~340'). I took my main down one size further in Colorado but really didn't need to. The FCR handled everything well from sea level to 12,800 Engineer Pass.

The Husky FCR is stupid simple to work on. The tank is off with one bolt and you simply rotate the carb in place thereafter.

The TAT becomes quite mental after a number of 12 hr days in the saddle peeling layers back on the ole mental onion.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I prefer the simplicity of a carb.

Most tuners praise the FCR as just about the most perfect carburetor ever made.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

mdubya wrote:I prefer the simplicity of a carb.

Most tuners praise the FCR as just about the most perfect carburetor ever made.
FCR is a great carb... but personally I'd rather have FI.. or at least FI that works well...

Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen (try and pronounce THAT will ya) has had problems with it's FI on the newest round of LC4's - ie the 690cc series.. From two KTM owner who work in the Motorcycle industry - if you bought it new (not used) and it's within 4 year of purchase - if you have problems (and bitch) - their solution is to ship you new throttle boddies - no questions asked (you do however need to press the issue). Thankfully there has been no issue with the bigger bikes (ie the 9X0 series). Anyway, do to some of those issues - KTM is sticking with the Carb for right now till some of the FI issue are sorted out, as the LC4 is usually the more reliable bike.. I read somewhere that 2013 is the date that everything will be FI... Whether that's 2012 for the MX bikes first, or that MX will get em in 2013 is unknown - as usually the MX bikes get the newest stuff first.

The thing I don't get is the KTM owns Husaberg and Husaberg R&D is at the KTM factory - and their 450 and 570 bikes are EFI... But aren't street legal - supposedly for the 2011 models(per the release june 9th) is that the 570FE will be street legal - but the 390 and 450's are EPA legal only.. I don't get it..

Edit - there is also supposed to be a street legal 570 supermoto as well...

1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se