I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Supermoto trackday at summit point wv

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
kevleetee

Re: Supermoto trackday at summit point wv

Post by kevleetee »

LOL !! I'm far from an expert. Is it really supermoto if there isn't dirt and jumps??
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

kevleetee wrote:LOL !! I'm far from an expert. Is it really supermoto if there isn't dirt and jumps??
For me, it doesn't matter. If the track is good and I am having fun, that is all that is important to me. If I have to tip-toe around the asphalt to get to the dirt section, I might as well just go ride dirt, even on slicks.

I don't ride roadrace tracks or sportbikes anymore, so for me, the asphalt element has to be there and it has to be worth my travel time.

The Summit dirt section looks awesome. It looks better than BeaveRun's.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

To put a different perspective on it, should I let Doug Henry and Mark Burkhart and Jason Conlon and John Lewis and several other lesser known AMA pros that all those asphalt only practice days we did weren't "real" supermoto? :cheers:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
kevleetee

Post by kevleetee »

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.I'm just happy to be ridin!! I think summitpoint is easier to get started. You don't need full leather and its a relaxed atmosphere. Those guys are goin to improve track conditions in the future and Beaver is a grippier surface for sure. What is your sm bike of choice and tire for beaver?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

No worries. It is good to hear Summit's atmosphere and organization is laid back. BeaveRun is very much the same way and that makes it very enjoyable. Just show up and ride.

I started out on my converted to SM DRZ back in '03. I have been riding a Vertemati 501 for the last several years. On the DRZ I ran Pirelli Super Corsas and Dunlop DOT race tires 208/209/211 GP. All those were great fun to ride tires.

On the Vertemati I have run Pirelli slicks and Super Corsas and Dunlop slicks (the 250 GP ones, not SM specific). The Pirellis have always offered more feel and grip IMO.

Last time out at BR I rode a YZ 450 with Super Corsas, a KTM with Bridgestone slicks, an Aprilia with Dunlop Qualifiers, and a Husky 510 with a Michelin SM slick up front and a 2 year old Maxxis slick on the rear. All of the tires performed flawlessly. On each bike all it took was one warm up lap and then one cautiously hot lap to forget all about brand, profile, rim size etc. There are a lot of good tires out there.

If I lived close to Summit I would go up on the road race weekends and buy SV 650 sized take offs from the tire vendors. Cheap, cheap fun. I can't remember the last time I used a new tire for Supermoto. The Pirellis on the YZ 450 I rode were $10/tire take offs.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC